Thread: Multi-media Indian themed vase

Multi-media Indian themed vase

The purpose of this exercise was to try and incorporate metal art that I've been creating on my machine shop equipment (mill/lathe) - into wood art that I made with traditional wood working equipment to create a multi-media Indian themed vase. I know that this project is not for everyone, so the wood purist can skip the post. But, I've been around a long time checking out what people are making and I have to say that I've never seen anything like this before. I've turned a lot of wood projects some years back and won several ribbons at the O.C County Fair in So Cal for my work.

This is the first wood turning project that I've made in 13 years now. I found that my wood turning skills were a little bit rusty but it came back pretty quickly once the chips started flying. I also remembered what I DON'T like about working with wood, it's always moving and doesn't hold tolerances or concentricity for long.

After starting on this turning, I decided that it would have to be done in an unconventional manner. Instead of gluing up all of the wood and turning it, I had to turn it in 3 pieces to about a 98% completion and then do the glue-up and finish work. This was primarily for fear of catching the tool and running it across my finished inlay rings.

I used Curly Maple for the main body and Bubinga for the end caps. I used black veneer to better define the edges of the rings. I used a diluted water base Pecan stain to bring out the Maple grain and natural Danish Oil to provide protection, a nice amber color and the mat sheen.

I hope that you find it as interesting looking as I did making it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Rick

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-17-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great looking vase. Might get more attention and comments in the Turners forum of the Creek.

And, welcome to the Creek.

Nice vase. It is not a top heavy with upper metal ring?
    Welcome to the forum.
    Ed.

Interesting project!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quite interesting & imaginative. My concern is the metal to wood connection. What glue did you use? one that will allow the wood to move & the metal to stay rigid?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Richard - Welcome to the Creek!

I like this! I like it because it is different and uses mixed media. One of the things we try to include when posting in the turning forum are dimensions because when the form is right, it is hard to judge size.

Have you created any metal/wood items before? I ask because I wonder what happens with temperature & humidity changes?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice, I love the incorporation of metal into your turnings.

Nicely done. I like the concept.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks to you all for your kind words and positive acceptance of my concept. I thought that I may run into a bunch of wood purists that don't like my mixing of the medias. I've seen a lot of inlay projects, but I think the "bling factor" really sets this off.

The vase is very stable (not top-heavy) because I use 6061 aluminum for the rings. The vase stands about 10" tall. The top ring was made from a piece of 3" ID pipe, so you can get a rough idea of the size. I just use Titebond standard wood glue and and modest tolerances (.002-.004" loose) and it seems to allow for thermal/humidity expansion movement with no problems. The Inlace uses resin and it does the same thing. I've been working on it in 100* semi-humid environment until I recently moved it into my 70* A/C (dry) house and I haven't noticed any changes.

As I said, I haven't turned in a long time because I got back into my machinist background when I purchased metal working equipment some years ago. It was only some recently that I contemplated combining the two medias. My personal challenge was how to make a series of triangles with a lathe and mill that primarily turn round/flat objects. Since starting this project and successfully making the first rings, I have engineered another 12 Indian themed designs on paper for future projects when the time comes. Right now, I'm back to making another unique metal project in the machine shop and once again retiring my Oliver 1259 wood lathe . It was fun to make another wood turning, but my wife doesn't like all the dust.

Here's another mixed media project I recently finished, but I shaped the wood on my mini-mill. Maple base with cherry finish. I designed it to flow well with the angular/geometric lines of the 2" turners cube. Here's a few more of my turnings and projects.

IMG_0788.jpgIMG_0791.jpgPICT0255.jpgPICT0257.jpgAir Quarium.jpgPICT0248.jpgWedding Goblet.jpg

As most of you you may know, "Things always seem to go smoother when the wife is happy".

While talking to my wife over the weekend I thought about some of the questions regarding the type of glue and concerns of if it would hold together. I guess I never thought that anyone may be thinking that I simply glued metal to wood and turned it. To the contrary, I wouldn't trust that bond myself.

I'll explain a little bit better here. I made the vase using mortise and tenons so that all glued connection points would be in full contact on at least 3 surfaces. I'm also a pretty good engineer, and that's the only way that I'd make something like this knowing that I was planning on sticking my 18" hand-held hollowing tool in it at 1000 rpm!

IMG_1002 (Large).jpgIMG_1001 (Large).jpg

For example: The top cap was turned with a .750" tenon that would slide through the 3" ID of the ring, with .200-004" loose fit x .500" long, and then nest into the mortise in the main body of the vase another .250". Careful attention went into the precise length/fit so the Bubinga tenon would have full contact with the Maple body on all the mating surfaces when compressed. Same goes with the bottom cap. Glue was liberally applied to everything, squished together in the lathe and left overnight.

The rings are actually just "along for the ride" and play no integral role in the strength of the vase. It would be perfectly sound to turn even if they were completely omitted.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. I wouldn't want anyone misunderstanding and getting hurt.

Rick
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!