Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blade change on DeWalt 735

Heck. Just sell them right here.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hey fellows, thanks for the input on blade changing. I changed the 735 blades this afternoon, very simple process, probably took 45 minutes at most. I've put this job off for a long time thinking it would be some tedious, complicated process. I wish all equipment was this maintenance friendly. When I finished I ran a 5/4 test scrape though the planer and it came out perfectly smooth. Had my wife come out to the shop and listen to it run (I'm recently deaf). She said it was loud, I told her that was normal just as long as she didn't hear any metal parts clanking around inside we were good to go!

Changing knives on the 735 is one of the easiest tasks and is one of the reasons why the 735 is my favorite planer, even though I have a nice 15" one. However an impact driver is way overkill. I use a cordless drill to speed up removal and replacement of the screws but I always set the torque very low. I snug them up with the included t handle but never hard enough to strip them. They always pop when you back them out.

I sharpen mine with a jig that holds two blades at a time. I have one set of Infinity HSS blades that I've sharpened once. They last at least twice as long as the Dewalt knives.

Dan