Thread: Hammer heads???

Hammer heads???

I grabbed a lot of hammers back in the winter off ebay for cheap. When they arrived I was happy even though all of the heads were loose. I really expected that. I paid next to nothing for them so I was still happy. I started to clean up the one attached here and then one thing led to another and it sat until today. Well we all know wood moves but this head and all of the others are now perfectly tight. A few of them were really loose and I am surprised there was this much movement. I am also concerned as I am sure they will be loose again in the winter. So I am assuming the best time to repair the loose hammer is in the winter??? Just wondering here as I am slightly surprised these are that tight right now.

Also can anyone tell me what this hammer is? Some sort of tack/brad hammer I am assuming. It has CS Osborne & CO stamped on it and a 3. As well as Made in USA. I like the weight of it for brads... Thanks, John...

hammer-1.jpg
    Last edited by john davey; 09-17-2014 at 1:30 PM.

I wouldn't swear to it John, but it looks a lot like the welders chipping hammers I've seen. Used for removing dross and slag.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'm not hammer expert, but I've got two just like it. I always thought they were sort of a poor man's cross pein hammer. they are (mine) both fairly small, maybe 6 ounces or so.

Well I should have done this first but I googled the company and they are still in business. They make upholstery and leather tools. So maybe it is a tack hammer... I am guessing 6 oz's for mine but I might be off. Not good at that.

That hammer. being by Osborne, might well be a leather or upholstery hammer, but it's shape is most like machinists' or tinners' rivetting hammers which are not uncommon, and are usually made in light weights. I have several of them, with square or octagonal faces rather than round.

Maybe someone with access to an old hardware catalog could look it up. I think that type of small hammer was pretty common several decades ago. I have heard the name rivet hammer for this type of hammer. When I grew up I had a hammer the some but with a square instead of a round face. I think sometime along the way this type and size of hammer may have fallen out of favor. I still like the versatility of this hammer.

Alfred