Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool I D Please

Tool I D Please

Could someone tell me what this tool is and what its used for. My GF had it in her gardening box and said it was for digging up weeds she got it from her fathers tool box waaaayyyy back .
    I think it might be some kind of wood chisel, maybe for beveling edges or something. IMG_20140917_131109807.jpgIMG_20140917_131127756.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Looks like a mason's tool for finishing mortar joints. I too, think it looks like an old garden tool for pulling up weeds. Is the steel any good?
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 09-17-2014 at 2:27 PM.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Looks like a mason's tool for finishing mortar joints. I too, think it looks like an old garden tool for pulling up weeds. Is the steel any good?
    Not sure what you mean is the steel any good. It has some rust on it but no a lot. The reason I think its a chisel of some sort is because the edges of the V groove are beveled and looks to have been pretty sharp at one time.I wouldn't think a tool use in the garden would have of need sharp edges for sticking in the dirt to pull up weeds. But hey thats why I'm asking here. I don't know what it is LOL .
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 09-17-2014 at 2:48 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The shape of the tip looks just like the weed puller I have.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Prashun and Bruce nailed it. It is handy for cutting the tap root off of stubborn to pull weeds.

I believe it's for weeding tap rooted plants like dandelions. I recall them being common when I was a kid. Pulling dandelions one by one is not a fun job
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Commonly known as a "dandelion weeder' around here. Custom handle; the original may have been plastic that broke.

Of course, a tool is what you turn it into; if you can find a woodworking use for it, you get to name it in its new function!

I've got one of those with a shovel handle for pulling dandelions - with two hands and a (two-handed slightly shorter than) shovel handle, it's not so bad to use (my wife is herbicide averse....to a point). We called them "thistle pullers" when I was a kid, but I don't think I've ever pulled a thistle with them. I could count the dandelions in the thousands. Like anything else, once you get good with them as an adult, not so bad (still not as easy as spray, though).
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-17-2014 at 4:06 PM.

Yep, one of my favorite tools (or it would be if I actually enjoyed pulling weeds), but, when I do, I really want one. I own a couple.

When I was a kid, we used ours to cut the tap roots on dandelions. My mother actually made a sweet/sour/bacon dressing dandelion salad which was served over cooked potatoes. I believe this is a Pennsylvania/Dutch dish. Very good !!! of course we kids were always told to not bring home any dandelions from areas where dogs frequented.
    Even today I have a short-handled and a long-handled cutter which have not been put to use for many years.
    Last edited by Don Rogers; 09-17-2014 at 4:41 PM.

Salad and wine around here. I don't know anyone of my generation that did it, but my dad said they picked dandelions from ditches when they walked home from school, and my grandmother made dandelion wine as long as she was able bodied. We're Pennsylvania (non-Anabaptist) Germans. I doubt the Anabaptists would've done the wine, and many non-Anabaptists around us would not drink alcohol at all for any reason and have a very dim view of it.

Blog Entries
    Going with the weed puller but noting there is a tool of similar form used for pulling tacks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks everyone I guess its a weed puller, now I have to eat crow
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    I thought you were poking fun... I've used one of those weed pullers for as long as I could walk to the garden with mom.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5