Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question to Chinese laser owners 220 volt with transformer

Question to Chinese laser owners 220 volt with transformer

Hey,

My supplied transformer blew last night. Here is the odd thing. My transformer says it's 1000VAC, input 110/ out put 220 volt / 20 amp. I pulled the fuse and it says 20 amps, but that does not make sense to me.

How are you even getting 1000 Volts out of a 110 or 220 system?

And what does your converters say?

Oh yea and I doubled checked to make sure it didn't say 1000watts.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-17-2014 at 10:38 PM.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Are you talking about a step down or step up transformer or the laser tube power supply? Its Chinese electrical so anything can be labeled wrong.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You can get 75,000 volts from a 9v DC battery Clark, it's all about current.

Bills got it, China seems to have it's on conventions on system labelling , which PSU is it you are on about (Lasers can have up to 6 or more)

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

So no it's not in the laser. My laser is a 220 system, and it has a 110/220 step up transformer. You plug in the laser 3 prong china plug into it and, then from the transformer you plug in to the USA 110 wall . I'm in the USA.

my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    You can get 75,000 volts from a 9v DC battery Clark, it's all about current.

Bills got it, China seems to have it's on conventions on system labelling , which PSU is it you are on about (Lasers can have up to 6 or more)

cheers

Dave

That's one for Bill my friend, I don't know anything about external electrics

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    So no it's not in the laser. My laser is a 220 system, and it has a 110/220 step up transformer. You plug in the laser 3 prong china plug into it and, then from the transformer you plug in to the USA 110 wall . I'm in the USA.
    my machine.
    You will be better off getting rid of that POS China made transformer and just using the machine straight on 220 volts, actually Its more like 230 volts but whatever. We just went through the whole changeover to US 230 volts a couple months ago. If you have 230 volts available and you can follow instructions or hire someone who knows what to do as an electrician you will save yourself a lot of headaches.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Clark;
    If you have a conventional USA house electrical system then you have 220VAC available and you don't need the transformer. Just run a normal 3 or 4 wire 220 line from your ckt brkr box and change the Chinese 220 plug for a normal 220Volt USA plug. If you insist on using the transformer and the one you have is defective, PM me as I have an extra one that came with my Shenhui.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

Blog Entries
    Think of it as a 1000 Watt supply rather than in volts.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Think of it as a 1000 Watt supply rather than in volts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Oh yea and I doubled checked to make sure it didn't say 1000watts.
    That being said, it could be 1000 VA (not VAC) which stands for volt-amps, and if you ignore power factor, is the same thing as watts.
    GWeike LG500, 60W
    Epilog Mini 24, 40W

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wilhelm View Post
    ...and if you ignore power factor, is the same thing as watts.
    Yes, but the power factor may not be all that close to 1, depending on the type of load.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I don't have access. It's at my shop.

Well the fuse worked. But I think I may order a US version. Perhaps it will work better.
    Last edited by Clark Pace; 09-17-2014 at 8:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wilhelm View Post
    That being said, it could be 1000 VA (not VAC) which stands for volt-amps, and if you ignore power factor, is the same thing as watts.
    That's where I was heading, but I didn't think it worthwhile to muddy the waters with such a discussion.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

220 V/60Hz OR Chinese Transformer 110 to 220

Quote Originally Posted by George M. Perzel View Post
    Clark;
    If you have a conventional USA house electrical system then you have 220VAC available and you don't need the transformer. Just run a normal 3 or 4 wire 220 line from your ckt brkr box and change the Chinese 220 plug for a normal 220Volt USA plug. If you insist on using the transformer and the one you have is defective, PM me as I have an extra one that came with my Shenhui.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    Sorry to revive such an old thread. I guess I am late to this laser party and am a noob to this forum. Just wanted to revisit George's quote from above as its been a few years and things sometimes change.

My Chinese 130 watt CO2 laser machine arrives this week. They included a transformer to step up from USA 110 v to their 220 Chinese plug. So my question is, should I use their transformer, or use a dedicated 220 v breaker from my panel. (easy to do as my panel is 20 feet away with easy access)

Not concerned about exhaust and air compressor power as I have my own solutions for those that run on 60 Hz, independent of the laser machine. Just want to know the best solution for powering the machine itself.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Foreman View Post
    Sorry to revive such an old thread. I guess I am late to this laser party and am a noob to this forum. Just wanted to revisit George's quote from above as its been a few years and things sometimes change.

My Chinese 130 watt CO2 laser machine arrives this week. They included a transformer to step up from USA 110 v to their 220 Chinese plug. So my question is, should I use their transformer, or use a dedicated 220 v breaker from my panel. (easy to do as my panel is 20 feet away with easy access)

Not concerned about exhaust and air compressor power as I have my own solutions for those that run on 60 Hz, independent of the laser machine. Just want to know the best solution for powering the machine itself.

Thanks.
    Don't use the transformer Mine caught fire before I could get 220 to the laser. I was working on installing the outlet and was cutting some letters that had to go out that day. I was just getting ready to run the wire to the outlet and heard a boom and fire coming out of the transformer Lucky I was only 3 feet away and had a dry fire extinguisher handy

I used a transformer for about a year, then one of the relays started clacking, and then it fried something, which I fixed but it didn't last. I just wired up a 220 plug and been a happy laserer ever since
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle