Thread: Under-The-Stairs storage cart.

Under-The-Stairs storage cart.

Project Build: Under-The-Stairs Rolling cart.

Look elsewhere for “fine woodworking”. This is just a plywood box on wheels!

We have this awkwardly shaped storage area at the foot of the stairs. It's fairly deep, so it's awkward to access the back, and it looks messy. We wanted something better.

One of my goals was cheap/free — trying to mostly just use materials on hand.
    Another goal was keep it simple — I did NOT want to take the time for an elaborate built-in
    Finally, I wanted it to be completely closed up in the front, so we could hide away the storage.

Here is a rough sketch that I made to guide my build. I decided to make a simple rolling cart, with a large triangular door on the front.

I cannibalized some rollerblades for the wheels. The advantage of rollerblade wheels is that they don't pivot, which is exactly what I want here -- I just want the cart to roll straight in and out.

one side of the cart needed to be low, to fit under the stairs. The other side needed to be high, to help hold and support the front. So I took a piece and cut it in half diagonally to make the ends.

Assembling the box:

Assembled box: The wheels will be mounted in those gaps between the boards.

Drilling holes for wheels

Laying out the big diagonal door. This is a thin 1/8” thick piece of underlay plywood that I had. It is sized 1” narrower in all three dimensions to fit the opening.

The door is too thin on it’s own, so I framed it up by gluing some wood along the edges.

Wheels installed, front door ready to be installed

Finished - closed

If you prefer moving pictures, here is a youtube build video that I put together:
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 09-17-2014 at 4:31 PM.
    "It's Not About You."

"Like".........
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is pretty cleaver,I also like how you made a cartoon of the piece before you built it.Thanks for sharing with us.Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That is pretty cleaver,I also like how you made a cartoon of the piece before you built it.Thanks for sharing with us.Aj
    Andrew, that is a printout from SketchUp, just in case you didn't realize.
    "It's Not About You."

Clever use of what is normally wasted space. Smart man.

Very clever. I would have just put shelves there, and cussed forever while on my hands and knees, digging stuff out.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.