Thread: Good or bad idea? 1-3/8" large dia. rabbetting bit with a trim router

Good or bad idea? 1-3/8" large dia. rabbetting bit with a trim router

I ordered my first trim router (a Bosh colt) and 1/4" shank Whiteside rabbeting bit set (1952), planning to use them to route 1/4" rabbets for the back panel of a cabinet that I'm building. (Pretty much used it as an excuse to by the trimmer ) I just received them tonight and rather shocked by how big the rabbeting bit is (1/2" cutter length, 1-3/8" large diameter, still in box, looks bigger than that to my eyes). Taking a quick measurement, the base opening is just about 1-1/2" (maybe another 1/4" if I take off the plastic bottom piece). The manual says a bit must be <1/4" of the opening... so, pretty much at the max size.

Does anyone here use this combo by any chance? Is this a bad idea? (I'm inclined to think so...)

I have not actually tested the fit as I have not opened the bit set case, and I would exchange for 1/2" shank set if this setup is no-go.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Personally I would not use Colt with this huge bit. But it is me. I would use more beefier router and a lot of support on the edge.
    Ed.

I'm even surprised that Whiteside sells that bit with a 1/4" shank. I wouldn't run it on a trimmer. The largest bit I run on those is a 5/16" roundover.

Sigh... that's what I was afraid to hear. Tom, WS sell the same bit for both 1/2" & 1/4" shanks. I had this preconception that all 1/4" shank bits are small enough for a trimmer... I need to pay more attention to the bit size in the future. Thanks guys!

You have the power but not the subbase surface nor a cutter hole big enough.
    On the turn (corner) you will have almost no subbase on the work.

Spend $90 more on the plunge base for the Colt with a 2" opening. You will want some handles for it anyway. Then add a rectabgle subbase to it for more support on the work surface. That or Pat Warner will sell you one I bet.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR011-Ro.../dp/B009ZQUB5O
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Using that bit on that router sounds more like a death wish than woodworking.
    Don't do it.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

That bit is to be used in a table, not hand-held.
    Use a 1/2" straight bit with that trim router.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have done it and will do it again this afternoon, different manufacturer, same bit size, same router. I'm gonna chuck it up and make a 1/8" deep x 7/16" rabbit in some curved door stops. You want to have your wits about you, take shallow passes, it can work. That said I'm doing this because my stops are only 1 3/4" wide, so a bigger router base is not in my favor. In your case the colt would not be my first choice, and 1/4" shank is never my first choice for a bit that large. Don't ever try to take a heavy pass with a base that small, or any rabbiting bit for that matter. Death wish? No, but not for the faint of heart or those lite in experience. If you proceed do so with caution and a steady hand, success is not guaranteed in cases like these.

Yikes, there is a practical problem, I forgot about. The PR20 can spin to 30KRPM. That cutter is not balanced for those speeds.
    I would run it at 15-20,000 however, that is, if it had enough router foot print.
    A cutter that big, leaves <1" or so of the router on the work. Now that is a suicide run.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Yikes, there is a practical problem, I forgot about. The PR20 can spin to 30KRPM. That cutter is not balanced for those speeds.
    I would run it at 15-20,000 however, that is, if it had enough router foot print.
    A cutter that big, leaves <1" or so of the router on the work. Now that is a suicide run.

Humming Pearl Jams "Alive"............Did it just today. Will do it again tomorrow. Will probably not do it again unless forced. Suicide? Nah, but it gets your full attention. Bigger base is really in order. I just got one of those plunge bases from bosch......where has that been all my life? Bosch sells a bigger round base for the colt that holds a PC style brass bushing, maybe a $6 accessory, would be better if it were clear and had a handle on one side.

Kesh, go to your local glass shop, buy a drop of 1/4" lexan, make a bigger base following the original as a template, slow that screamer down, your good to go. Man over machine. Or do what I did...seat of the pants git er done approach. Second thought, don't do that.

Wow, a lot of good info here. Thanks for all the tips!

Reading what Peter has done, it's tempting for me to keep the 1/4"-shank bit with a plexiglass base. But, I'll play it safe this time and exchange it with the 1/2" shank counterpart (good thing I haven't opened up the packaging).

What I realized after I started this thread is that I should be able to cut the rabbets simply with a dado set since the rabbets are on the long edges of the cabinet.... Some times, an easier solution is to turn to another type of tool. This being said, I've added the plunge base to my Christmas gift list

That is the size bit you use to route some door hinges with a radius corner. It was meant to route no more than the thickness of a hinge leaf. They work perfectly fine for what they were intended for. They are included in old Porter Cable door kits.

They are not for any heavy use.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 09-20-2014 at 2:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Using that bit on that router sounds more like a death wish than woodworking.
    Don't do it.
    Bill
    ^^^THIS +1^^^ I agree with Bill 100%.

I would not do that combination...Too much for small router.
    Jerry