Thread: My first workbench: to walk around or not to walk around

My first workbench: to walk around or not to walk around

Hi.
    I'm planing my first workbench for my smaller than average garage workshop.

I'm pondering all the options and one big question for me is if I should have the bench so that I can easily walk around it and work from both sides or have it flush against the wall where I could have shelving for easy access to tools while I'm at the bench.
    Having it flush against the wall would also able me to keep it longer since it wouldn't be obstructing my path around it.

A third way to orient it might be perpendicular to the wall to double as an outfeed table for my combination machine.

What are your thoughts, do you in practice benefit from being able to work from both sides of the bench?

Many thanks.

I've had mine every which way imaginable, including used as an out feed to my table saw. I don't think being able to work on the other side is that important, at least not for me, but I do find it's important to at least be able to squeeze back there or have things overhanging. I would leave a couple of feet between the bench and the wall, and you'll probably be fine.

Do the best you can with the limited room you have.

FWIW - I have it set up like this:

wall full of hand tools
    backbench @ 24"
    gap @ 40"
    workbench @ 30"
    gap @ 30"
    table saw.

The back bench and workbench are set at the same height as the TS. I can use them as infeed supports for long stuff. Well - don't need the back bench as infeed support, but I need it to be no taller than the others.

The workbench is a frequent infeed support - have industrial HD adjustable feet on it, so it is co-planar with the TS [that is not the same as level - the floor is a few degrees off level - the bench lines up perfectly with the TS].

I usually work btwn the backbench and work bench, but do go around the other side frequently for finishing, other tasks.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Whether it's important or not depends on the projects you do. I've done lots of projects that were too big and heavy to move easily, so being able to walk around and work on all sides was a big plus, but if everything you do is light enough to move around easily, the benefit disappears. You don't want to put the bench in the middle of the space if it just gets in the way.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts. I'm rather leaning towards the outfeed table setup now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarni Thorisson View Post
    Ok, thanks for your thoughts. I'm rather leaning towards the outfeed table setup now.
    That setup works great....EXCEPT when you're in the middle of a task, your bench is messy, and you need to make a cut. Then it's the worst, most terrible, dumbest idea I've ever thought of, and I underscore that fact by popping open a beer and calling it a night.

Many years ago I read the tip about matching heights in the shop and have used it ever since. I've set up shop in 6 different houses over the years and it helps alot!! I've learned to add levelers and casters to everything so that I can reconfigure to suit the space or the project. Perhaps one day I'll settle down and fix the locations of things, but I have my doubts. I like the abiltiy to change with the size of the project at hand. Being a hobbyist, I rarely make more than a couple of anything and the range of items built runs from dollhouse furniture to 10 sets of interior shutters for sliding glass doors on my current abode.

If your shop is smaller than average, I would suggest against the wall and at the same height (or slightly lower) than other tools as noted above. And make the bench as big as will fit. When you have the relatively rare need to pull it off the wall, you can. I have an embarrassment of riches with a short bench against a wall, a large walk-around workbench and then a table saw with a short out feed table. When I had just one bench, i had it as an out feed and also against the wall. The latter was definitely better b/c a real pain to clear everything anytime i needed to make a cut. The walk around bench serves as an out feed for long cuts (with a roller stand). Even though a walk around, it is rare that I need to do so.

Good luck.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra