Thread: Need dimensions for spoon rack...

Need dimensions for spoon rack...

My grandaughter is collecting souvenir spoons and asked me to build her a display rack. I've found a number of designs online but none with dimensions of the spoon holder.

If you have a spoon rack, (any style), can you get me the dimensions for the spoon holder. I need the thickness, size of hole and slot, and the distance between holes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Blog Entries
    I made a spoon rack for my DIL. I had the spoons she wanted in it for measurements. The slots for the spoons are key hole shaped with the bottom of the key open. The idea is that you put the spoon handle in sideways through a slot that is just wider than the thickness of the spoon handle and then turn it in the round (or oval) area so that it won't fall back out of the slot. Spacing depends on the width of the spoons with a bit of space between each one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. I only have one spoon, the one we bought for her. She lives in OK and we live in GA. I'll get her dad to measure a few of her spoons and use the one I have and wing it from there.

Thanks again for responding.

I just built one for my Mom. I used plans from an old back issue of Wood Magazine (#35). It held three rows of spoons, each row had about 4.75 " below it, and the top shelf had about 4" above it. The spoons were placed in 5/16" diameter holes counter sunk on both ends drilled on 1" centers 1/2" in from the front. The shelves were 1 3/8" deep. If there are any other dimensions you want, reply here or PM me.

Here is my final result:
    d34f8c68fcbdebc8e6293986f4f3a2ed_zps620ae49c.jpg

And installed with spoons:
    dd857dfa6502bcc8063de4038f6fa150_zps050ff152 (1).jpg

+1 for Lee Ludden's spoon rack. I made the identical rack for my ex wife quite a few years ago and it was a joy to build. She liked it so much, after we were divorced for a few years, she asked me to make her 2 more for spoons she and her new hubby had accumulated. I was actually happy to do so, especially considering the Benjamins I got for them!

HTH,
    John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

Lee Ludden, thanks so much. Exactly what I needed. In fact your design is what I had in mind. Hope you don't mind if I draw from it. You know what they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

It looks like you used cherry and I wish I had enough to make it from that but since I don't, I'll probably use some red oak I've had around for a while. I'm sure my grandaughter will love it.

Thanks again.

John, thanks for your reply also.

Interesting. I never would have thought to hand the spoons that way. I guess it makes sense if the designs on the spoons are right side up that way.