Thread: Beall buffing system...

Beall buffing system...

So, I posted a video on Youtube demonstrating how I use the Beall 3-stage buffing system. But it occurs to me that there are likely a ton of tips and tricks that I don't know about, that the collective knowledge here could help fill in for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr6tCOmATdU

So, what do you think? What did I get wrong, or what did I miss?

-Steve

Nice job, Steve. I follow about the same routine as you. I do, however, wipe my bowls out with a blue paper towel in between changing wheels, to eliminate any possibility of contaminating subsequent wheels. Not really sure if that makes a difference or not. (Also liked the music.)
    Regards,
    Dick

Thanks for putting that together! I tend to use a little lower RPM with the Beall system - usually between 700 and 1000 rpm. I have also had very good results using Renaissance wax in-lieu of the carnuba. The renaissance wax does a little better with fingerprints, although, I don't know if it gives the same level of protection for a utility bowl that will hold food and be washed. I have washed my bowls that had renaissance wax without problems, but I am not as familiar with the carnuba so I cannot give a comparison. All of that said, your video did a great job of demonstrating the use of the Beall system as designed!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Your lathe is WAYYYY too clean. Did you actually turn anything on it? Your shop is way too clean too.

Nice job! I also go the "long" way in addition to the perpendicular. Don't know if that's right or wrong. Give it a try and let us know if it helps or not.

Nice job Steve, I also buff pretty much the same as you show in your video. I also have a second wax type buffing wheel that I use for renaissance type wax. I put the second wax right on top of the carnuba with the hope of getting the good points of both waxes. Both coats of wax are very thin and mostly buffed off, so there is no heavy wax look or feel on the wood surface. One of the things I do is to fold up an old towel and lay it across the lathe bed, so that if something does get away from me there is a cushion over the sharp edges of the lathe bed.

Phil

Nice video, Steve. You may want to mention the it's not a great idea to use white diamond on walnut. The white gets into the grain and is not fun at all to remove.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Question....when using the Buffing Station, is it important to first "seal" the bowl then buff?