Thread: Jet 1642 won't start...

Jet 1642 won't start...

When I haven't used my 1642EVS recently it won't turn on. If I fiddle with the white knob on the inverter it will run again.

The display on the inverter goes up and down with the main speed control knob, and reads the same whether the lathe is on or not. Turning the knob on the inverter doesn't seem to change anything, nor does pushing the green and red buttons.

If anyone knows how this stuff works, I would greatly appreciate some help.

I have the same lathe and had a similar problem about a year ago. My problem turned out to be the start/stop switch(the big red button on the front). I replaced the switch and no more problems.

Edit:
    If you think the s/s switch could be the problem I did a bit of a tutorial on changing mine over on the IAP. You can check it out here - Just copy and past the link into your browser and take out the extra spaces before and after the "www" and after the first "dot".
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-18-2014 at 9:46 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum

"The best things in life are not things."

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Check the switch itself. That microfine wood dust "fried" in my Jet 1442?? and gave me similar symptoms. The speck of carbonized material was extremely small, but it was enough to mess things up.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Check the switch itself. That microfine wood dust "fried" in my Jet 1442?? and gave me similar symptoms. The speck of carbonized material was extremely small, but it was enough to mess things up.
    Like Russell says, that does work and it was my initial fix that keep the lathe running while I order a new switch. I flushed the old switch with alcohol then blew it out with an air jet. That got it to working but it was only temporary. About 2 weeks after the new switch came in it quit again so I replaced it and it has been working fine ever since.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Like Russell says, that does work and it was my initial fix that keep the lathe running while I order a new switch. I flushed the old switch with alcohol then blew it out with an air jet. That got it to working but it was only temporary. About 2 weeks after the new switch came in it quit again so I replaced it and it has been working fine ever since.
    That was precisely my experience. I cleaned it similarly, reassembled it, and began looking other places for the problem. Aftet having the motor checked out, I revisited the switch, and discovered the aforementioned black speck, which I removed with an xacto blade. That was four years ago, and the lathe has never faltered since.

Obviously, this isn't guaranteed to be your problem, but it's such an easy thing to do. Besides, while it might not be the case with your lathe, this anecdote might.be useful to others.

Again, good luck.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Mine has stopped just like this a couple times. I removed the plate with the stop switch, blew it out and it fixed the problem.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I attacked it with air and it has started repeatedly. Maybe it is okay!

But does anyone know why it doesn't matter how I have the knob on the inverter set? Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I attacked it with air and it has started repeatedly. Maybe it is okay!
    But does anyone know why it doesn't matter how I have the knob on the inverter set? Is that normal?
    How old is your lathe. Jet has a five year warranty on them(probably just to the originally owner?), I contacted their parts department and had the replacement switch in just a few days, you may want to get one on order.

Can't help you with the inverter controls, played with mine a little when I first got it but turning the knob didn't seem to do anything so I left it alone. However, I seem to recall a post from a long while back by someone that something else needs to be done at the controller in order for the knob to change anything, in other words the knob is turned off or cut out of the circuit until you do something to activate it. Of course that could have been just something I dreamed up but it sounds good... Seriously I remember something like that from somewhere.

Shouldn't have read this post - mine just quit too. Thanks for the tutorial on changing out the switch, I got some off the source you provided. Hope that solves the issue.

Dave Fritz

The on/off switch seems to be a weak link. Had to replace mine. I just quit using it. I use the speed control instead. I now don't use the on/off switch more than 10 times a year

James...
    When the VFD is programmed, the programmer must select between internal (VFD Knob) or external (machine knob) for rpm control. That is why one works and not the other.
    GC
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    James...
    When the VFD is programmed, the programmer must select between internal (VFD Knob) or external (machine knob) for rpm control. That is why one works and not the other.
    GC
    So the inverter knob does nothing because it is set to be controlled by the machine knob. What works.

This morning I blew out the switch with compressed air and the switch worked. At least I know that's the problem.

Made the mistake of stopping off at Robust lathes to get a new tool rest. I'm seriously considering a 2 HP Liberty with the tilt away and leg set. That would solve the Jet switch problem forever for me.

Dave F.