Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lange View Post
I plan on venting everything outside. I would like to ditch everything but the impeller and housing and letting the outlet shoot outside into a dump trailer for removal. Is this a good idea? Do I need a cyclone unit or can I just let everything go through the impeller housing?
I have a Delta drum-type DC that I converted to a cyclone a couple of years ago. I vented it outside when I first bought the unit about 20 years ago. I immediately found that virtually all of the dust, chips and shavings the DC collected ran straight outside. I didn't have any type of collection bin outside. I just raked it into the grass.

When I modified it into a cyclone, I had to take everything apart. I didn't notice any unusual wear from the waste running through the impeller all those years. Once the cyclone mod was done, the drum collected practically everything. Nothing large ever makes it outside, only a small amount of dust. Now I have to empty the drum fairly often, something that took some getting used to. I miss the low maintenance part of the old setup but the outside looks much better now.