Thread: Wen 12" scms?

Wen 12" scms?

I am eligible to retire this year, and am looking at the idea before year end. My employer has a "service award" program where we can pick out gifts at various service intervals - ie 20 yrs. Retirement also qualifies for the award.

Any way, one of the selections in the catalog for retirement is a WEN 12" SCMS - were it a Bosch, Makita, etc, it would be a no-brainer, but I've not heard of this brand.

The description in the catalog reads:

12 SLIDING COMPOUND MITER SAW.
    As a consummate Do-it-yourselfer, you need a saw that delivers the power for the hardest jobs. The WEN 12 in. Sliding Compound Miter Saw fulfills the need for power and toughness. The 15-Amp motor and 12 in. carbide tipped saw blade will cut through the toughest material. The 12 in. reach of the sliding function can cut a 2 in. x 12 in. board in one motion. Includes: 12 60-tooth carbide tipped blade, blade wrench, dust collection bag, 2 material support arms, hold down clamp and extra set of carbon brushes.

Many Thanks

Jim

Id find something else in the list that youd rather have. I mean if your only going to use the tool occasionally perhaps but I pretty sure your looking at a harbor freight quality tool there. Dont know how much, or what kind of, work you do but its definitely a low end saw.

I agree with Mark. It might be OK for rough work - my 12" Skill CMS is good for outdoor furniture & fence work but not much else.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For just cutting down long boards to shorter ones for the table saw and things like that I would get it.
    I am sure it is not going to be a great saw but for just things now and then I think it should work just fine.

And do you really need a new watch or a set of luggage ...

I generally tell people not to buy SCMS's because they take up WAY to much room. Do an image or YouTube search for Sliding mitersaw station and just look how far away from the wall and how much room you need. Even if you close them up they take up a huge amount of space.

A generic 10" mitersaw is a far better use of space.
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

+1 on what Mike says. How often will you cut a 2x12? If you do that often, then it may be a worthy purchase, but as many have said, it probably is a lower end saw, good for roughing. Any cutting bigger that my miter saw can handle is done on the table saw and sled......
    Interesting though. The 15 amp motor is a bigger draw than my DeWalt. Maybe it's one of those "HF Gems".

Thanks for the feedback.....

I suspected it might be Harbor Frieght quality or similar.....but since I'd not seen nor read about one, it seemed
    logical to come here for information.

I currently have a 12" Makita CMS and a 10" table saw, so its not a pressing need.

Looking to get the most bang for my buck - so to speak.....I will look at other stuff - should I pull the trigger on retirement.

Thanks

Jim

That’s actually a pretty nice anniversary gift. For my 25th the best thing in our catalog was a cheap pair of $40 binoculars.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Amazon carries a Wen scms 12" saw for $185. Not a bad service award!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I seem to associate the Wen name with soldering guns. Truth? or senior moment?
    David