Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser for Marquetry?

Question Laser for Marquetry?

Hi,

A little background - I do a mix of aquatics CAD design, marquetry, rehab work and building furniture. Due to a recent accident (that I can't give any specifics on due to pending litigation) I can't do any actual work right now and CAD time is limited because my hand will ache for hours afterwards. Hopefully in time, the majority of it will resolve itself and I'll be back to being a productive member of society.

At some point in time there's going to be a settlement and I'd like to get something that will allow me to do the sort of marquetry patterns I've designed but couldn't cut out with a knife (I have yet to try packet cutting on the scroll saw) so I'm looking at either a CNC with a Donek drag knife or a laser.

If I go the laser route, can I just tape the veneer to the table, and let it go to town or do I need some sort of vacuum table to hold the veneer in place?
    What am I looking at as far as getting into a laser? I don't want to build my own stuff - something that I unpack, hook up, translate my AutoCAD drawings and then start cutting. Nothing against Chinese stuff, but if I drop a wad of cash, I want to be sure that there's support and parts if/when needed.

Does anyone use their laser for cutting veneer and if so are you happy with the route you chose? If you have both CNC and laser, would you recommend one over the other? I have a ton of veneer - all cut and flitched, none paper backed.

Size wise, I don't see myself needing anything bigger than 18" x 24" or 36" (depending on what size the workable area is) Something bigger than a tabloid sheet of paper but smaller than a half sheet of plywood.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Blog Entries
    Considering the thinness of veneer, I would highly suggest a laser vs. a CNC. A vacuum table will solve problems that you didn't know you would have... such as veneer that doesn't lie perfectly flat.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The Epilogs come with a tablet which has a lot of holes in it, and the exhaust gets pulled fro under the table - so while I would not call it a vacuum table, it does put flexible materials somewhat flat. Some(!) softer veneers will lay flat like that.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

You'll probably need to buy CorelDraw to convert your autocad drawings. You probably won't need a vacuum table but the veneer will have to be flat and in focus for cutting. You may be able to use weights or tape though most of what I've cut has been flat enough without using any clamps or presses, etc.

I believe the laser will do a superior job to any other method of cutting. I do cut from the back. I call the attached inlay but I used 1/64" veneer.

wal inlay 2.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Null; 09-20-2014 at 3:10 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Save as AutoCAD 2000 DXF format and you have cross platform ability for just about any laser on the planet from tiny Chinese K40's up to industrial multi million $$$ death rays

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I agree that cutting veneer with the laser works great! My question to anyone doing Marquetry is this -- do you use your laser to route the recess also? My experience is that the bottom of the recess is not very smooth and if you are using very thin veneer it doesn't lay in the routed area too well. With thicker veneer you can afford to let it sit 'proud' and sand it level. Just curious what others experiences are with this.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Hi Jeff, that's exactly my experience. But you can get some real detail with that method that those of us with 10 thumbs cannot do otherwise.
    inlay2.jpg
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I do use the laser to rout the recess. The glue tends to smooth the surface but i have smoothed a rough spot or two with a chisel. Generally, the glue is adequate.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

All of my marquetry is cut, taped together with veneer tape and then glued to a board (usually baltic birch) with a bottle jack press or vacuum press and then set into the piece or if it's a chess/cribbage/backgammon board, framed with solid wood.

So, the hopefully not $20,000 question - how much is it to get into a laser?

Hi Stephen I think you will love doing marquetry. I use a ULS X2-660 100 watt laser. Most of my work is a 1/4" thick glued to 1/2" ply. Using thinner wood you could get buy with much less power. good luck and have fun. Here is a piece I did for the memory of 9-11.

ny0001.jpg

How much getting a laser, that all depends on what brand and size and power of laser I think you mentioned 18 x 24 for what you want to do I think 60 or 80 watts will suffice, if your going to do engraving as well as cutting I wouldn't go over 80 watts.
    If you go with a Chinese brand laser from Rabbit, or import one direct from china your looking at 7 to 10 range. If your need support and parts rabbit USA is the better choice for the Chinese brand lasers, there are a couple other here also that sell them but research here and elsewhere will most likely lead you back to Rabbit for the best support of the Chinese brand lasers. If you want to go with a Epilog, Trotec or Universal laser your going to get good support a good machine and spend a lot of money for it.
    I'm sure other will chim in on this also this is just MHO
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Considering the thinness of veneer, I would highly suggest a laser vs. a CNC. A vacuum table will solve problems that you didn't know you would have... such as veneer that doesn't lie perfectly flat.
    Ditto on that. Laser cutting it will be a breeze. Just take the beam thickness into account. i usually use 0.004" as the kerf to get inlays to fit tight.
    Laser: ULS M300-50 watts, ULS X25-75 watt, Chinese 100 and 150 watt
    Software: Corel Draw, Corel PhotoPaint X8, Aspire, MasterCam, Fusion 360
    CNC: Rockler 60th Anniversary Edition CNC Shark, EZ-Route CNC
    Kingsley Hot Stamp machine
    "Out of my mind....Back in 5 minutes"

Stephan;
    I've done a lot of marquetry and inlays- a breeze with the laser. Try to use thicker veneers-used to be 1/28" was standard but now see 1/42" and thinner.
    If you have a bandsaw its easy to cut your own thicker veneers, but there are a ton of inexpensive veneers available on ebay. Get some wood fillers to match various woods and the rest of the process is self explanatory. Also use mirror technique to inlay very minute pieces with great reaults.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

Based on the thickness of what you are doing you won't need a laser with a lot of power 30-50 watts is really the most you'll need. But, you will want a laser with low banding as the higher detail stuff like what you might be doing will show up. Make sure when you put in your order to tell your sales rep that you are planning on doing flexi-brass(sets a higher expectation) and you want a tube with low banding(they can test for this in the break in stage of the laser tube).

As for holding it down, I recommend using small weights for most folks so you don't get residue on the material.

As for which machine, there are a lot of options out there. I recommend a process put together a list of vendors you are thinking of gather some materials and have each company test your application and provide you with settings and speeds required to consistently achieve the same results. Be clear with your expectations of tolerances, measurements etc. Take your time, and be diligent in waiting for each company to provide results. Normally this takes 2-3 weeks. They should all be able to provide you a detailed explanation of how they achieved result including speed and setting as well as how long it took to achieve that result. Then go through the quote process, you can either make them compete with each other and offer to buy that month if you get a price about 20-25 percent below the list price. Usually the latter works 8 times out of 10.

Good luck on your hunt,

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    I agree that cutting veneer with the laser works great! My question to anyone doing Marquetry is this -- do you use your laser to route the recess also? My experience is that the bottom of the recess is not very smooth and if you are using very thin veneer it doesn't lay in the routed area too well. With thicker veneer you can afford to let it sit 'proud' and sand it level. Just curious what others experiences are with this.
    Well, the easiest way is to cheat: use the laser to cut one or more "background" pieces of veneer and then glue the whole thing to a suitable substrate.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.