Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 81

Powermatic 81

I just bought a Powermatic 81 bandsaw in a school auction. I may be crazy but I was unable to see it due to an injury. However, it seems go be intact and in decent condition. I figure I can spend a bit more money and have a nice resale bandsaw. I have to wait till the 24th to pick it up, but my patience is dwindling. My main worry is what motor I wound up with. I hope it is single phase but I don't recognize the plug. It was described as 240v. Can any of you tell by the plug? I will also attach the link to the auction.

Ok. I'll try that in a moment.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=7589&aid=84889&lid=21143791&rfp b=0#Top

Thanks, Dan
    Last edited by Dan Hahr; 09-20-2014 at 7:12 PM. Reason: Add link

Here's a pic of the plug.

IMG_2083.JPG

Pretty sure it's going to be three phase, being from a school. And that looks like it could be a three phase plug, though it could be single too I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Here's a pic of the plug.

IMG_2083.JPG
    Looks like a 3 phase cord cap..........Rod.

That's what I'm afraid of. What are your thoughts on getting a phase converter vs VFD vs replacing the motor?

Thanks, Dan

How many HP motor? If it's three or less (five or less for some brands) a VFD could give you a variable speed bandsaw with single phase 220v input--not bad, especially if you happen to need to cut other materials like plastic or aluminum. On a bandsaw a VFD is a relatively easy install.
    Ed

That's likely a 3hp motor, and a VFD will cost a bit over $200. I have a Powermatic 2013 which is basically a newer version of the 81, and put a VFD on it and have been very happy with it. It's an easy install and allows variable speed, motor braking, and programmable starting time.

powermatic box.jpgAny clue as to what the black box is on the back of this machine?

Matt.

Did you use the factorymation FM50? It seems that there are several versions. Which did you get? I can hook it up to 120 or 240 if needed.
    Thanks, Dan

I am not sure what the HP is. I took a big chance here, but I hope the frame itself is worth the gamble. I figured I could put a cheap 2 hp motor on it and have a decent saw.

Thanks, Dan

Not sure about the box, mine didn't have one.

I got the FM50-203-C.

Not sure about the box, mine didn't have one.

I got the FM50-203-C. Total with shipping was $206. Thats going to be cheaper than a new motor, assuming the current one is good.

You need a single phase 220V electrical circuit, you can't power it with 120V.

Chances are 99% that it is 3 phase. 3 phase with a VFD is the way to go. I have two on a lathe and radial drill and am converting another drill press and milling machine to 3 phase/VFD because the operating of the machines are so much smoother with the VFD and you get speed control as a plus. You can easily make a remote control so that the controls are right where you want them and even have a readout of blade speed in ft/sec if you want. The wiring of the VFD is simple and you eliminate all the relays and other stuff in the "starter" box on the machine. It is a clean installation.

That will be my plan if it's 3 phase. Hope this works out!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of. What are your thoughts on getting a phase converter vs VFD vs replacing the motor?

Thanks, Dan
    Definetly a VFD.

I have the saw with a VFD................Rod.

Powermatic 81.jpg
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 09-21-2014 at 3:01 PM.