Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powermatic 81

Well, I bought a plug and wired it up. Pushed the start button and lo and behold, it fired right up. I turned it off but it wouldn't start up again. I worked the switch several times and it seems to be working right now.

I'm still a ways from cutting anything but at least I know I'm on my way. I put on the only blade I have and tracked it properly. I noticed that the upper wheel was cast or drilled way off of concentric. It looks like it is hopping up and down as it spins. The tire has been crowned concentric to the axle, so the outer rubber runs smoothly but it is worrisome to look at. Does anyone have a cast iron wheel that is way off center like this?

Also can anyone suggest a good replacement switch that will fit the PM 81? Mine is missing the outer cover, so I just have two small white posts to push next to two hot terminals.

Also, I've been trying to get on the OWWM forum but haven't been activated by the administration yet. Does it usually take several days?

Thanks, Dan

Forum activation usually doesn't take too long. Arnfest (big event) was just last weekend so I'm sure the mods are catching up.

While waiting for bearings and a belt to arrive, I've been checking everything and making sure it is in alignment. The wheels seem to be in alignment and the blade I have tracks nicely in the center of the tires, despite the awkward off centered axle. I guess this is normal, since there is a 1" by 2" by 3/8" chunk of steel bolted to the wheel spoke for balance with PM gold paint all over it. I thought the bottom axle was a little too far out, but it seems that the bottom door is just a bit bent in, just so the center of the door rubs the axle end. Any ideas on how to fix this would be much appreciated, as I have no idea how to tweak sheet metal!

I put the Carter 500 guides back on and noticed the slot in the housing below the thrust bearing (bottom guide) was all chewed up. I then realized that the lower guide is about 1/4 inch too far to the right. There is no adjustment in the guide or trunnion base. So I tried to move the trunnion base over to the left, but there is very little side to side play in the bolt holes. I squared up the base and that cancelled out the slight space I gained. I guess I could move the wheel axle over to the right, but then the blade would hit the blade guard on the left.

Anyone have any experience with this issue before? I guess my next move will be to try and elongate the four bolt holes in the top of the cabinet. Does anyone see any other option? It going to be a lot of filing....

Thanks, Dan