Thread: one tool away

one tool away

while observing sb at Virginia woodturning symposium, I discovered I was one tool away. I went home reground a 1/2 wide scraper to a negative rake scraper. worked pretty good, but really needed a bigger negative rake scraper, so talked to Doug Thompson, he is on the road right now, but when he gets a chance he will make me one up......I went ahead ordered and received an insert from Packard, and this morning made my tool handle for Doug Thompson's negative rake scraper
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's the PVC for?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill,

the pvc (some turners use copper pipe) is to strengthen that end of the tool handle, the insert continues under the pvc, if one has a catch, if the wood is not supported it will tear the tool thru the wood at that point, supposively one cannot have a catch with a negative rake scrapeer.......my motto never say never......not sure how long the tang on the new tool will be, it is held by two set screws in the front part of the insert that you can see......the tool will be removable for sharpning , storage, and transportation
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 09-21-2014 at 6:50 PM.

Charlie, last year I had Doug grind one for me - double grind. Each side is ground to mid thickness. I can use it right or left and can easily roll the burr to either side on my toolrest or by using a burnisher. Works great held dead flat just above midpoint. You will love it.

double grind, thanks John......I will try to contact Doug tomorrow