Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott's broadcast spreader, upscale spreaders and setting rates in general...rant

Scott's broadcast spreader, upscale spreaders and setting rates in general...rant

I take pride in my lawn. I live on a hill that is steep enough to have me wearing spiked shoes in order to maintain good footing. I use a Scott's drop spreader for almost if not exclusively spreading seed. Thus is doesn't get a lot of use and has lasted for a long time. I've used Scott's broadcast spreaders for everything else and they just don't hold up. The axle rusts through, the wire used to pull up the opening for whatever is in the tank, after one season or so can't be/or is very difficult to adjust so it can be calibrated. I've resorted to crimping the wire to get the lines lined up. Plus, the wheels are so flimsy they bounce over the slightest irregularity dumping extra material, or when you make a sudden turn or movement the same thing happens. I call those my Scott burns. A Scott's bag that lists for 5,000 Sq ft at a certain rate may or may not take the listed number of passes to use up the amount in the bag. Look at the ratings given by the users on Amazon.com...fair to poor.

However, if you look at upscale broadcast spreaders, they have better wheels, push easier, spread whatever is in the tank more evenly. But try to find a bag of something with that brand's setting listed. Lots of Luck. Ask the manufacturer and they will give you a conversion chart. Look at reviewers comments about those. Hah, not very accurate at all, if at all and you need to know your math. Thus if you go the upscale route be prepared for: 1) 3X the cost, 2) 3x or more to take the time to figure out what the setting you need on your spreader for whatever you buy. After that you may be good for years to come, but you have had to invest money and a good deal of time. Buy a new bag of something...more time.

For me at my age, I've come to the conclusion I'll just get the best Scott's broadcast spreader and figure I'll have to live with it, and replace it with some regularity. If I were 20 years younger or had more acerage, I'd invest in one of the upscale spreaders.

Just had to rant after looking at the new flimsy models at HD costing around $60 -$80, knowing something is going to break or go out of adjustment in short order.

Don,

I ran into the same problem last year. I had one of those Scott's Upscale spreaders from 30 years ago. I accidentally stumbled and fell on to it bending the axle. There was no repairing it. It seems Scott's no longer sells those under their name though as you found out they are still available, manufactured in Ohio IIRC but unbelievably expensive!

Though I prefer a good drop spreader, I bought a Scott's broadcast spreader.

Like you I will just buy the best they make for the same reasons you did.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    It is frustrating to spend money on something you don't have any confidence in.

We're like that with appliances now. Especially dishwashers.

PHM

Paul,

The difference in price is unbelievable though. I encourage Don to correct me if I am wrong as it's been a year since I researched it. It took along time for me to find the information.

The one that is exactly the same as the original Scotts drop spreader retails for $700 IIRC. It's made in the US and it's marketed now for the commercial market. It's not marketed under the Scott's brand anymore.
    Ken

I bought a Scotts broadcast spreader at a garage sale for $5 20 years ago. It is fine. What am I missing?

$700!?! Can you post a pic of the one you guys are talking about? I have a 30 yr old Scotts drop spreader that works year after year but I have no idea what you mean by an Upscale Spreader.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I use one of the Scotts broadcast spreaders and it has lasted quite a few years so far and has a lot more in it. I have one with the edge guard to use along driveways and sidewalks. My only complaint is the handles are too short for someone 6'3". One thing that I have noticed is that the fertilizer is corrosive and you need to clean the spreaders out after each use.

I only fertilize twice a year and that is plenty as it has gotten really expensive.

Bruce.....the original drop spreader was a Scott's metal precision spreader. I bought it over 30 years ago. Last year when I stumbled and stepped on it, I researched it. I am sure it was built for Scott's by Anderson. Now the only one Anderson makes is made with stainless steel instead of painted steel like the Scott's was. I found a website last year where I could buy the Anderson replacement and IIRC it was $700. IIRC, the one I had was 32" wide...painted Scott's green. It had just a few minor differences...plastic wheels versus pneumatic tires.....but it was a lot cheaper. Searching now, it appears they are only sold through dealers and I can't verify that price. Here's a link: http://andersonspro.com/wps/portal/a...ucts/spreaders
    Ken

I solved the problem by not fertilizing. Just makes the grass grow faster, requiring more cutting. Plus it gets in the lake.
    I do have a spreader though. Grub control and some fertilizer.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The difference seems to be whether it is a DROP or BROADCAST spreader. And whether you have an irregular or hilly lawn, and whether you use it to spread lime and/or snow melt. Drop spreaders don't seem to be the problem. It's the Scott's broadcast spreaders of late and the type of lawn and your type of use. Like I originally mentioned, my hill is steep enough, that a couple times years ago I slipped and fell while mowing with a lawnmower. I now use Kahtoola microspikes (http://www.rei.com/item/856702/kahto...raction-system) which I got at REI. I used to use Lacrosse shoes but found these worked better. They also double as good ice condition spikes. Perhaps on a relatively smooth and flat lawn, the problems I've encountered wouldn't appear, particularly if I lived in the south and never used snow melt and hardly ever spread lime. Also, Larry Frank does it right, he cleans his after each and every use. Bravo Zulu Larry! Taking care of the spreader will go a long way towards it's longevity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I use one of the Scotts broadcast spreaders and it has lasted quite a few years so far and has a lot more in it. I have one with the edge guard to use along driveways and sidewalks. My only complaint is the handles are too short for someone 6'3". One thing that I have noticed is that the fertilizer is corrosive and you need to clean the spreaders out after each use.

I only fertilize twice a year and that is plenty as it has gotten really expensive.
    I have one of those type spreaders and it works fine. I just wish they would leave off the edge guard and drop $5 or so off the price. I have found that the edge guard isn't worth the material it's made of.

I'm just going to pay someone to do it. They charge $55 a visit to spray for weeds and fertilize, 7 visits a year starting in the spring until late fall. Plus an extra $65 once a year for grub control. Based on the neighbor across the street's lawn they know what they are doing and I don't have to mess with it. I priced just the Scotts Weed and Feed products at Lowes and it would cost me that much to DIY it and I have no clue what I'm doing.

You have a point Matt on having the local Lawn Guy do it. But if you use the local Lawn Guys here to also cut your grass, they use one of those wide body cutting machines and scalp part of the grass while cutting the other part just right. They never adjust the height depending on time of year or type of grass. As far as the weed and feed goes, neighbors who use them tell me they occasionally have to call them back to show them weeds. They respond well enough, but they aren't as careful as a concerned home owner. The best Lawn Service in the area does a great job, but costs $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'm just going to pay someone to do it. They charge $55 a visit to spray for weeds and fertilize, 7 visits a year starting in the spring until late fall. Plus an extra $65 once a year for grub control. Based on the neighbor across the street's lawn they know what they are doing and I don't have to mess with it. I priced just the Scotts Weed and Feed products at Lowes and it would cost me that much to DIY it and I have no clue what I'm doing.
    I went that route with TruGreen/Chemlawn. It started out at 6-7 treatments a year. By the time I cancelled the service they were showing up every 2-3 weeks and sending me a bill for $35 each time. And I still had weeds..
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-22-2014 at 4:55 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I went that route with TruGreen/Chemlawn. It started out at 6-7 treatments a year. By the time I cancelled the service they were showing up every 2-3 weeks and sending me a bill for $35. And I still had weeds..
    If your dogs eat stuff out of your yard, it's bad for dogs, too. I used to treat, and my neighborhood is half treat and half not, but I still had ground ivy and some other 2-4d weeds. I've taken to using a whole lot less broadleaf in a mix of 2-4D and triclopyr out of a backpack sprayer and that's it (we have a garden, too, and kids in the yard so that stuff matters - maybe more to my wife than me, but why spend the money to start a fight?).

If I have weeds at fence lines, I use glyphosate now instead of trying to control the weeds and leave the grass.

there's one side benefit to not fertilizing the yard (aside from the fact that I don't get clogging mowing in the spring) and that's that if it's dry for a month in the summer, I don't feel that bad about it.

We had a spreader identical to ken's when I was a kid, and from when I was spreading fert, etc, i had a scott's broadcast. There is no comparison between the two, and I see now that scotts has all plastic junk with junk plastic wheels, and anything in my broadcast spreader would stop the wheels if the yard wasn't dead even. I'd much rather have had the old painted steel drop type - we washed ours when we were done. Now that they're stainless, I guess it's a sign that washing them out has become too much work.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-22-2014 at 3:30 PM.