Thread: 2-1/4" #5-1/2 Plane frog

2-1/4" #5-1/2 Plane frog

I am sorting and typing about 30 plane frogs to sell and in the box found one that looks like a definite Stanley frog, 2-1/4" wide instead of the standard 2-3/8". On the back at the bottom it is stamped 5 1/2. I know there is one type of 5-1/2 Bedrock that has a 2-1/4" frog instead of the 2-3/8", is this also true of the Bailey types or what is going on here? The frog is painted green, I assume by a John Deere fan. Walter does not say anything about the different width frog that I can find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

The Miller's Falls equivalent 5 1/2 was 2 1/4" wide (I have one) but it should have been stamped "15" if anything.

Patrick Leach's essay on Stanley planes states that the Bailey 5-1/2 had a 2-1/4" iron until 1938 - about 2/3 of its production lifetime.

Yes, the early 5 1/2 Baileys had a 2 1/4 inch wide frog. I have a couple right now. The keen Kutter K series planes, bedrock round side in disguse, also had a 2 1/4 in wide blade. If you frog has an adjusting screw I ould be very intreste in it.
    Tom

Bedrock 605-1/2 frogs are all 2-1/4" wide, never 2-3/8".

My favorite Stanley Bailey is a 5 1/2 with a 2 1/4" blade. I had to source a replacement blade through Joshua Clark and it wasn't terribly easy to find. Still, I love the plane. Right size for me, for whatever reason. Anyway, they're scarce enough, and the parts are scarcer, but they do exist.

Blog Entries
    My #5-1/2 uses a 2-1/4" blade. If my memory is working it is a type 9.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

8. I have a narrow 5-1/5 also. It had a worn out iron in it, sharpened within 1/16" of the slot. I fitted it with a heavy tapered cast steel iron from an old woodie. It was a bit of work to get it all to go together, but it is now a kick ass performer