Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to break in Husky Compressor?

Do I need to break in Husky Compressor?

I just got this compressor:

33 gal. Quiet Portable Electric Air Compressor

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-33-...331H/203995169

Nothing in the manual states I need to break it in. Yet I have read other posts emphasizing you should break in a compressor first.

The compressor is oil free.

Highly doubtfull

I don't know the answer but have been looking at that compressor. Would love to hear your experience with it. I have had dreadful luck with compressors. They seem to last no more than about 3 months for me.

I've never run a "break in" sequence on any compressor. My large one (oiled) is 37 years old, and my smaller airless is now 10 years in service.
    I do maintain them well by changing oil, cleaning filters, and draining tanks. All the usual stuff.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    I do maintain them well by changing oil, cleaning filters, and draining tanks. All the usual stuff.
    Bill
    Just curious,do you drain the tank at the end of the day,or once a week?

Plug it in, turn it on, and let it run?
    There is no break-in period.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It wouldn't hurt to fill the tank once and empty it,then run & use it .that's what I was suppose to do with my Campbell/Hausfeld.I soon after changed the oil to synthetic.
    Last edited by ken masoumi; 09-21-2014 at 6:08 PM.

Ive had that compressor a while. Didnt do anything special to break it in. Runs fine.

The humidity where you live and how often you use it will determine how often it needs drained. Id use it a day, drain it, see how much comes out. If little, wait a week and drain. Etc. Mine doesnt get used a lot and so I just automatically drain it after each use or two, though theres very little water. I just dont want it sitting there rusting the tank. YMMV.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

safety valve broken?

Thanks. I followed the advice here and the manual, and turned it on and operated it the normal way. I drained it after a few tests runs.

I have another serious concern, that the safety valve is not operating properly. According to the manual, you are supposed to fill up the tank, turn off the machine, and then pull out the safety valve. You are supposed to hold on to the ring for 20 seconds, and then release it. Here, the instructions are a big ambiguous. The manual states that the valve stops releasing air at 20 PSI. If the safety valve continues to release air, it needs service.

Here's what happened in my test. I pulled out the ring and nearly popped my airs with the load sound. I didn't have to hold on to the ring, because the valve stayed open without my holding on for a full 1 minute. At 50 PSI, the valve engaged again. Was the valve supposed to continue to release air on its own until 20 PSI? Was one stage supposed to take 20 seconds?

If I pull out the valve at under 50 PSI, it releases air; if I let it go, it fully engages and releases no more air.

One more question about the circuit it runs on. I am running it on a 20 AMP circuit. I have a 25 foot 12 gauge cord. Would it be better to get a 10 gauge cord?

The real purpose of the safety valve is to prevent excessive pressure build-up. Your manual seems "nutty" about the closing point. It seems your system is designed for 165 lbs. max pressure... If for any reason your compressor continues building up pressure beyond the 165 lbs rated pressure, it will "blow" the valve at the valve's designed release point. I believe the valve is marked with a rating.

As for the electrical cord..... get a longer hose! Surely.....your manual should state that clearly.

And as for "break-in" period.... regardless what is or is not said in the manual, use the 90 day return period for break-in. If the compressor breaks within 90 days, take it back!
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 09-21-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    The real purpose of the safety valve is to prevent excessive pressure build-up. Your manual seems "nutty" about the closing point. It seems your system is designed for 165 lbs. max pressure... If for any reason your compressor continues building up pressure beyond the 165 lbs rated pressure, it will "blow" the valve at the valve's designed release point. I believe the valve is marked with a rating.

As for the electrical cord..... get a longer hose! Surely.....your manual should state that clearly.

And as for "break-in" period.... regardless what is or is not said in the manual, use the 90 day return period for break-in. If the compressor breaks within 90 days, take it back!
    Yea, the manual seems nutty. But I've read a few things on line that say the same thing as the manual: "The air should stop releasing immediately once the ring is released. If air continues to flow out of the air compressor, it indicates a problem with the safety valve." (That site probably just quoted from the manual.)

I am running it on a 20 AMP circuit. I have a 25 foot 12 gauge cord. Would it be better to get a 10 gauge cord?
    Same as me....

None of my 15 amp tools are "happy" on the end of a 10' 12 ga. extension cord - my compressors being the most unhappy.
    They strain and hum whenever they try to start up against pressure. If I don't shut them off like right now, they blow the breaker or the reset on the compressor. I never run them on an extension - I just add more hose, as mentioned above.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A lot of times those blow off valves will hang when you pull the ring. Oil, debris, moisture, cheaply made (likely with a husky). Its not uncommon to have to giggle that ring or give it a couple yanks to let it open and re-seat to get them to seat back. Its definitely not something to be overly concerned with.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    Here's what happened in my test. I pulled out the ring and nearly popped my airs with the load sound. I didn't have to hold on to the ring, because the valve stayed open without my holding on for a full 1 minute. At 50 PSI, the valve engaged again. Was the valve supposed to continue to release air on its own until 20 PSI? Was one stage supposed to take 20 seconds?

If I pull out the valve at under 50 PSI, it releases air; if I let it go, it fully engages and releases no more air.
    I certainly hope that's normal operation, because that's exactly how the valve on my Craftsman works. Pull it out, let go, it releases air down to 50 psi. And yeah, it can be loud. Once at 50 psi I will open the drain petcock on the bottom of the tank. I drain it almost every time I'm done using it. I had another compressor rust through the tank once because I was too lazy to drain it (took 10 years though lol).

One more question about the circuit it runs on. I am running it on a 20 AMP circuit. I have a 25 foot 12 gauge cord. Would it be better to get a 10 gauge cord?
    I use a 12 gauge cord on my compressor with no issues. That's 20 amp wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    Paul, I was mistaken. My compressor is the 22 gallon - smaller than yours. But my manual states "never use an extension cord with this product ... doing so voids your warranty." They say to plug it directly into the outlet and use longer hose. You might see if your manual says something similar.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-22-2014 at 5:39 PM. Reason: updated