Thread: Exotic Lumber Wax Removal?

Exotic Lumber Wax Removal?

I just got some ebony and it is covered with wax. I have never gotten any lumber with wax on it before (I have seen it but never experienced it). What is the best way or how is everyone removing the wax?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I use a scraper like I use for smoothing wood. The ebony is so expensive that you do not want to waste any while removing the wax. I only remove the wax from the part of the piece that I am going to use at that time.

Blog Entries
    I use an old plane blade (no Hook) to scrape off the majority of the wax. From there, a scraper and then re-saw for my project pieces.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Mineral spirits is a solvent for wax. I have that to remove wax coatings.

If the piece needs to be square, I've run it through my table saw, just "kissing" the wood with the blade. You can keep adjusting the cut until you get all the wax off. Often the piece of wood was rough sawn, has saw marks on it and the wax is in the saw marks. I usually take enough off the get rid of the saw marks.

Once you do all four sides, you have parallel sides. If it needs to be square, you can use a power jointer, or hand planes to get it square. Square it after you've taken the wax off of two adjacent sides.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I did scrape a lot with a card scraper like Larry stated and a lot came off but like Mike stated some still stays in the grooves. I am not sure if mineral spirits will get in the grooves. One concern I had was will the wax clog up the jointer or planer blades on my machines?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I did scrape a lot with a card scraper like Larry stated and a lot came off but like Mike stated some still stays in the grooves. I am not sure if mineral spirits will get in the grooves. One concern I had was will the wax clog up the jointer or planer blades on my machines?

Thanks Richard
    Once I took the majority of the wax off, I've run it through my planer without any ill effects.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks guys for the tips. and Mike for letting me know that it won't mess up the planer.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006