Thread: Recent Rust Hunt "Trophies"

Recent Rust Hunt "Trophies"

Things were a might skimpy last weekend
    IMAG0189.jpg

Spent a dollar bill on the Sears Crosscut saw, and $2 each on the D-8s Handles are solid, though. D-8 hardware is brass, with a "Disston USA" on the medallions.

A wide, flexible putty knife was taped to a large Visegrip brand of pliers. Meh...$0.50

Two "half-sets" ( each were only half there) of nutdrivers and drill bits. Nutdrivers were by Cresent. $0.25 each.

And this strange looking refugee from South Burlington VT ( at least i remember seeing some guy in a plaid shirt using one)

Will try to get the two D-8s all shined up. Seem to be 8 ppi. One was resharpened enough times, the teeth are almost to the "8" stamp. The other looks barely used, almost an 1" difference in width. Yet, these are the same model of saws. Did the fellow buy two, and keep one for a back up?

IMAG0190 (2).jpg

Now, about that black, table-like abjectIMAG0188.jpgThink I should ask Norm what all these parts are for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I finally got most of the crud off the two "good" sawsIMAG0196.jpg

The wider one still has an etch. The skinnier one? Doubtful. Teeth are into the "8" ppi stamp. Otherwise, these were twins. I think one was sharpened a few more times
    IMAG0198.jpg
    Medallions are "Disston" USA The skinny one is still quite sharp, too.

Brass hardware
    IMAG0191.jpg

Near as I can find out, these two D-8s were from 1940-1947 era?

The sears was made before all them hard toothed thingys came out, maybe back in the 60s-70s?

Will try to sharpen the un-used D-8, the one that was sharpened a few times is still quite sharp. But, so is the Sears crosscut one.