Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making Shutters?

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    Rockler has jigs to make these, you should take a look.

+1
    I took a look at the jigs they offer, the slats you can buy, and the router bits to make the slats if you wish over the summer for myself and they look like time savers if you are making enough shutters to offset the costs. BTW I am not affiliated with Rockler in any way, just trying to help out.

The Leigh FMT jigs have a template guide available that allows you to cutthe diagonal shutter slat mortises very easily. The template is very reasonably priced, but the jig may not be worth buying if you are buying it just to make a few shutters. Still, their jigs do such a great job of cutting mortise and tenons that you might be able to justify getting one for this, and future projects. I made raised panel shutters for my home and used my FMT Pro jig to do all of the mortise and tenon work on them, but I already had my FMT Pro jig before starting my shutter project.

Charley

I made shutters for a house quite a while ago when I didn't have the setup that I have now. I made a plywood channel to hold the stiles in place and attached a template to it for the router at the angle I wanted the mortise. Then I used a collar on my router to guide it in the template. I cut a series of blocks that where used as spacers between the slats. Cut mortise, add spacer block cut mortise... For the slats I did as you did and then cut the tenons from a pack of slats ganged together on the saw.

-Alden

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    Rockler has jigs to make these, you should take a look.
    Anyone actually use one of these jigs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Why not do loose tenons instead of dowels? Build a horizontal slot mortiser for rails and plunge router jig for the stiles. Woodsmith / ShopNotes have done a couple of mortising jigs that you could use to both rails and stiles
    With a horizontal slot mortiser you could do all the mortises -- those in both the rails (end grain on) and stiles, and the angled ones for the slats, using a tilting table or shop made ramp set for the correct angle.

6. I used the jig Norm makes to make a set of louvered doors. I got the video as close as possible to where he makes the jig.