Thread: Cedar Bowl

Cedar Bowl

This is a red cedar bowl I finished recently, it's 8X3 and finished off with just paste wax. I've tried other finishes with vaying degrees of succes but wax always works on cedar. I made this as a thank you for a pickup truck load of cedar and oak a friends mother was kind enough to give me. I'm still new to turning but c&c is welcome.

Cedar Bowl 1.JPGCedar Bowl 2.JPG

Russ
    Bowls look great. I too love cedar for so many reasons. I think the recipients will truly appreciate the gift

I love cedar too Russ. You can't help but love the smell, as well as the brilliant red color or the heartwood. Have you tried a little oil (Danish or Tung)? Easy to apply and it can buff up nicely if you want, or just leave the natural luster finish. I've made several thing out of it and I find it around our city quite often for the taking. Juniper is great too, but it has a lot of knots from the smaller branches.
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

Richard, yes I often do use Tung Oil but some times the cedar does not want to take the finish easily and of course it darkens the wood. Also I find that when i give someone something made of cedar the first thing they do is smell it, I've watched everyone does it. With the wax you can still smell the wood.

The cedar looks great and finish works well on it. You did a nice job.

Nice work! Cedar is so much fun to work with. Of late I have been finishing with a couple coats of sanding sealer then 3 or 4 coats of spray lacquer. Very shiny.
    My next project though, is a fairly large salad serving bowl with four matching bowls. Going to have to do some food safe finishing tests.