Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paraffin on your saw teeth

Blog Entries
    I did set the teeth on the 14 tpi crosscut carcass saw. It cleared up the binding.

I did use the screwdriver method as Frank Klausz recommends. I also used Georges high powered drugstore readers to see the teeth. I found a pair of 3.25 readers. I could clearly see each tooth.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 09-26-2014 at 11:30 PM.

The right set

I find that setting a saw just right, for me, eliminates any need for wax. Never used it.

The right set

I find that setting a saw just right, for me, eliminates any need for wax. Never used it. Of course if you need to make a cut and you don't have time or can't set your saw then wax away to get the job done!

I put tallow on saw blades for rust, far more than lubrication.
    Paul

Motor oil.

So, I'm using Japanese saws, that means tapered through the central portion of the saw blade, and I will reduce the set before ever increasing but really the only cause of binding I have to deal with is the wood closing in on the kerf because of internal tension released by the act of sawing itself, then I will either go back to the top of that cut to re-open the kerf, (maybe multiple times), or put a wedge in there. That said I also use paraffin or other lubes, to include lately, wiping metal surfaces with handful fresh shorn sheep wool.
    Last edited by ernest dubois; 10-10-2014 at 4:49 AM.