Thread: Blum Cabinet Hinges?

Blum Cabinet Hinges?

Greetings,

I am starting a set of cabinets for our church in the next couple of weeks. I am now researching Blum hinges for faceframe cabinets. Does anyone here have any experience with Blum hinges on faceframe cabinets? The doors will be an Partial Overlay type door with a 1/4" flat center panel section with a standard style and rail frame for the doors. Door frames will be 3/4" thick as well as 3/4" thick on the fraceframes. I have never used any of the Blum hinges and I would like the experienced Blum hinges users / installers to chime in here and provide me with suggestions and pointers for hinge selection and installation. All advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

HI Dennis:

I used Blum full overlay hinges in my garage shop cabinets. They worked really well. I like the adjustability of the hinges. You can line up your doors very easily with them. You can raise/lower, push in/pullout, and move right to left with doors attached to hinges. This allows for perfect allignment with the doors.

Before buying a little jig that Blum sells, I made a jig with the correct set back for the drilled out part of the door that accepts the barrel part of the hinge. The jig had a hole drilled in it to match the door hinge. I then set the jig up on the drill press and set the fence while the forstner bit was pulled down in the jig's while. That saved some time when I was drilling out that part.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 07-10-2005 at 10:50 PM.

Thanks Joe.

Do you happen to remember what style Blum hinge you used? 38C, 39C, 33 Compact..etc..etc...etc.....

I'm trying to figure out what mounting type to use for Partial overaly doors so I can make the doors as small and light as possible.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

You can use Blum cup hinges with face frames in three different ways:
    1) Use their face-frame hinges -- types 33, 38, or 39.
    2) Use any of the other types -- for instance the 120 degree clip top -- with their face-frame mounting plates, for instance B175L6600.22.
    3) Use any of the other types, use standard mounting plates, and put a block behind the face frame to provide mounting surface for the mounting plates.

I've tried the face-frame types, but don't like them because they put a rather large gap between the door and the face frame.

www.wwhardware.com is a good source for these hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    You can use Blum cup hinges with face frames in three different ways:
    1) Use their face-frame hinges -- types 33, 38, or 39.
    2) Use any of the other types -- for instance the 120 degree clip top -- with their face-frame mounting plates, for instance B175L6600.22.
    3) Use any of the other types, use standard mounting plates, and put a block behind the face frame to provide mounting surface for the mounting plates.

I've tried the face-frame types, but don't like them because they put a rather large gap between the door and the face frame.

www.wwhardware.com is a good source for these hinges.
    Jamie,

I was just wondering about the gap between the door and the faceframe. I don't really want much of a gap at all....just enough room for a bumper pad to be mounted on the inside of the door surfaces to quieten the closing of the door against the faceframe.
    Dennis -

Jamie's got it right. You will get a gap between the door and faceframe, just enough for the little plastic bumpers.

-Alden

I'm remembering that the gap was something like an eighth of an inch, and that was more than I wanted. Looking at the pictures in the catalog, I think it was the Compact 33 which gave this result. I see that it only has two directions of adjustability, and in/out is not one of them.

Not sure about the Compact 33, but you do have some adjustability in and out, the in will pull it about 1/8" gap, the out why anyone would want it is about 3/16-1/4" I would say. I get mine from http://www.wwhardware.com/.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Blog Entries
    Dennis, I used blum and other euro style hinges on several projects and really like how they go to gether and adjust. The Blums seem to be better construction than other brands. They also supply nifty covers to hide thescrews when assembly is complete. You have to be careful that no one leans on the doors because the euro style hinges seem to beless tolerant of excess weight than the standard AMerock cabinet hinges.

They make several adapter brackets for face frame applications.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Dennis. I use salice hinges, 1/2" overlay. I have several in stock. Less than a buck apiece, and just as good as blum. I'll send you some to look over if you want. I use a drill press, homemade jig, 32mm bit. Or you can use a 1 3/8" forester bit.