Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about new jointer

Blog Entries

Thinking about new jointer

I currently have a bench top Delta 6" joiner and have been thinking about upgrading before I retire. I have been looking at and considering the Grizzly G0725. Has anyone here had any experience with this one. http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-...-Jointer/G0725

I am a hobbyist and will be using in more once I retire but not at a commercial level.

what kind of projects do you work on? I ask because a benchtop 6" jointer doesn't have much capacity (length or width). Bigger is better when it comes to jointers.

What is the reason for the upgrade? Delta 6" bench top to Grizzly 6" bench top, does not seem like much if any of an upgrade.

I agree with Matt. Opt for a bigger jointer if you can afford it. A 6" floor standing jointer is better, an 8" jointer better still. If I had the funds for it (and the time for modest changeover) I'd get a j/p combo machine. One set of knives and wide jointing capacity.

I used to own the Delta bench top jointer. I don't consider going from one benchtop jointer to another one an upgrade. I would consider a used 6" stationary jointer from CL. Are you lacking the space for a stationary jointer? The difference is night and day.

6. I don't know about your area but around here jointers are a dime a dozen. Just now I saw about 10 decent 6" jointers under $300 on CL, even a delta for $90.

Blog Entries
    A lot of bang for the buck with used tools Jim. My last (2) stationary tools were bought used. From creekers.

Our local craigslist (Washington DC) has nice used woodworking tools in it routinely. A fair amount of disposable income in this area I think.

I'm sure the Grizzly would be fine though if that's what you prefer.

PHM

For an upgrade I would be thinking about a 8" floor model, new or used Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic or any other of the popular brands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    For an upgrade I would be thinking about a 8" floor model, new or used Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic or any other of the popular brands.
    X2 for an 8" Grizzly with a spiral head
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    X2 for an 8" Grizzly with a spiral head
    +1 - just went from 6" to 8" grizzly with spiral head. Picked up at the Grizzly Tent sale.

Glad i got it and it cuts smooth.

Look around. I picked up this Rockwell 8" for $300.
    Don't replace a 6" with another 6". Get something you're going to really use.

1 (Small).jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Jim
    On Houston Craigslist is this. 1962 powermatic model 50 6" jointer - $250 (spring branch

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Jim
    On Houston Craigslist is this. 1962 powermatic model 50 6" jointer - $250 (spring branch

Note the can of denatured alcohol and a few rags below and on left of jointer. Plastic cover (outside storage?). Looks like the jointer was a bit rougher before clean-up for picture. For what it looks, it's still worth seeing. Caveat Emptor.

I had scanned the Houston Craigs , too and I found a nice Oliver jointer for 2 grand. 12 inches is a bit of an upgrade?

Is it a matter of space? I have the Grizzly G0452Z with spiral cutterhead. Certainly more money, but for a good jointer with a relatively small footprint it is perfect for me.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I wish the OP would chime in here with a little more info so we can advise him a little better.