Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maple Indian platter

I saw that it was Pima - not the age. I only caution about copying the ORIGINAL work of WORKING ARTISTS. No copyright exists for items that old, nor should it. Personally, I do not agree with the current length of copyright - I don't think it should survive the the artist, or at least not his spouse, if any. Adult children can go find work.

Any paint artists that study seriously find themselves tasked to copy works of the masters, and that is as it should be. Adapting a given style to a NEW work is more worthy, IMHO, than executing an accurate copy. Changing the media does not necessarily clear one from copyright infringement, if I understand the rulings I have read about.

I genuinely love the bead impression work that I have seen (and yours appears to be top notch) and simply do not want to see issues arise from too close copying. Some of artists are rather rabid (as they should be if the design work is original) about protecting their designs.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

This is one of the most amazing platter I've seen! Amazing details and execution. Turned out really well.

The American Woodturner , October 2014 has a In Memoriam article for David Nittmann. good article and has several photos of his work, I had not seen any of the pieces that were shown, pretty awesome.