Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trotec Speedy 400 or Epilog Fusion 40

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Selway View Post
    Scott, do you know if any pass through systems offer a feed to move your cutting medium with some level of accuracy? I couldn't find anything online.
    I don't know of any, sorry.

If you can get 120W, then by all means, go for it. My comment was only that most people are concerned about the cost of a machine, and 120W makes the price jump up quite a bit. If money isn't the constraint, then 120W it is!

Here's what you won't see with less watts in wood- any real advantage in speed from one machine to the next in engraving. Any time you have to get the speed below 100%, it starts to equalize the machines to a large degree. With 80W and burning wood, you would have to lower the speed substantially to get a dark burn on most woods. With 120W, you'll be able to keep the speed up, maybe even 100% and get a dark burn.

120W will do a great job on wood.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Steve/Scott.

Also, I was curious, I've been noticing a lot of wood engraving that is pretty deep, but without much burn. I'm assuming after the engraving, people are doing something to remove the creosote, but wasn't too sure. Sanding perhaps? Sometimes that burn is a nice effect, other times you might not want it.

I'll check out Kern lasers as well.

The darker burn is not a given. Some woods, light ones like maple, don't darken much even with multiple passes. As you become familiar with your machine and different woods you'll identify what's possible with each.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7