Thread: Mimosa - deadly stinky!

Mimosa - deadly stinky!

Wanted to warn other folks here - mimosa has something deadly dangerous something like that inside it!

My neighbour offered me some of his cut down mimosa - it looked awesome with all kinds of figuring. I put some of the cut logs next to the garage and went to fetch the end grain wax. (Notice all work is outdoors up to this time)

And then all hell broke loose! The teenager tries to get me in trouble with the spouse - "Dad has put logs covered in manure at the garage!". After dealing with the teenager (don't worry - I wont be on any "most wanted" TV shows soon) I decided to paint the wax on, but I was wheezing and my chest started closing up almost immediately.

I checked the US Government website and it says only the seed pods are toxic - so I was kinda surprised.

Off to the garbage dump!

Just sharing for the benefit of others.

How odd. I've worked with Mimosa before and never noticed any strong or unusual odor to it. Never had any sort of reaction to it either. It's pretty wood and easy to dry even in large sections. Carves and turns nicely, too.

Jim

He who welds steel with flaming pine cones may accomplish anything!

I have turned Mimosa and not had any problem. Others in my club do have a breathing problem when turning Mimosa. Allergies are funny and not all react the same. I do have skin reaction to the rosewood family wood and cannot tolerate having it in my shop. Mimosa does have some pretty grain and finishes well with oil if you can use it.