Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power consumption in the shop

You don't say if you are insulated or not. That will be the biggest influence to your heating requirements. I have a 20 x 20 FULLY insulated (All 2x4 construction) and I can heat it with a small electric (1200 W) heater, but my small propane heater with a fan works the best!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

+1 on the propane. A 20K BTU ventless propane wall heater, mounted with a #20 tank on a mobile stand moves around where needed and keeps my 15 x 24 basement shop nice and warm.

On electrical circuits... Strongly consider a separate circuit for the overhead lights. If it's night and a machine trips the breaker, you don't want to be in the dark searching the electrical panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pearsall View Post
    +1 on the propane. A 20K BTU ventless propane wall heater, mounted with a #20 tank on a mobile stand moves around where needed and keeps my 15 x 24 basement shop nice and warm.

On electrical circuits... Strongly consider a separate circuit for the overhead lights. If it's night and a machine trips the breaker, you don't want to be in the dark searching the electrical panel.
    The overhead lights are on a separate circuit, thankfully. They are on the original garage circuit. The one I have my tools connected to was added recently, for that sole purpose.

I'm interested in the propane idea - how long does your heater run on 20# of propane? (the 20# tank is the regular size like the one I have under my propane grill, right?)

Is CO not an issue with "ventless" propane? I have one of those radiant heaters that screws onto a 20# bottle, but I never considered using it in my sealed, insulated shop. I've sure seen a lot of lawsuits with improperly vented propane appliances, usually involving a dead plaintiff.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I have used a radiant propane heater in my shop for over a decade and I am still alive and reasonably healthy. Ventless space heaters that are used all over the country. I can understand how some people who haven't used one would perceive it as dangerous but it is very commonplace. If you decide to use such a heater and want extra piece of mind, you can buy gas and carbon monoxide detectors that will warn you of danger long before it is a health issue.