Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backsaw rebuild done

Backsaw rebuild done

Back in the mid 90's I needed a saw for something so I ran out and bought the cheapest plastic handled stanley backsaw I could find. I have been wanting to make a backsaw for some time and decided to just re-purpose the stanley plate and back.

I decided to start with a Kenyon backsaw template with just a few changes. I re-cut the teeth 10tpi rip. I didn't have any saw nuts on hand so made some from 1/4-28 stainless steel nuts and bolts.
    I had a small piece of claro walnut on hand for the handle.

I remember the first time I looked at a london pattern handle I though it was an ugly chunky looking thing, but over time I think I have learned to love them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice job,Jeff.

Nice saw Jeff,The claro walnut is killer! Looks just like walnut from Oregon.

A very nice clean handle, Jeff!!

Jeff,
    Impressive work on the handle and hardware.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beautiful job Jeff! I love the tote – nice crisp profile and well-done lambs tongue and super cool shop made saw nuts.

Please tell me this isn't your first saw or that you are some kind of engineering/toolmaking savant– genius or I will be crushed by feelings of comparative inadequacy and self-loathing.

All the best, Mike

Thanks all.

Mike, I wish I could say this were my first saw, but I have made a few others.
    Luckily I never photographed some early attempts, and the images have dissappeared from my memory.

Jeff, I have never made a saw handle before but I would be interested in making one (or more). I was wondering what tools/technique you used to shape the inside of the handle.

-Alden

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Miller View Post
    Jeff, I have never made a saw handle before but I would be interested in making one (or more). I was wondering what tools/technique you used to shape the inside of the handle.

-Alden
    Alden,

I remove most of the waste with a forstner bit to start with and then remove the remaining waiste with a turning saw or coping saw.
    I do the initial shaping with a small knife, and then use a rasp and finally sandpaper.
    I could skip the knife, but I do enjoy doing some of the shaping that way.
    The hardest part for me is keeping a nice sharp transition from the rounded surface to the flats on the sides. Sometimes I find it helpfull to get all of the shaping and sanding done, and then as a final step, plane the flat faces again to try and resore some of the crisp lines that the sandpaper destroyed.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Wittrock; 10-01-2014 at 4:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Jeff. I must confess I still think London Patterns are clunky looking on smaller saws. But I think you did a very nice job on that one. I am particularly impressed with the uniform round overs and smooth transition. If it is uniform and even, it will show in the right light whether it is made crisp or soft. Nice job. My compliments.

Indeed, very nice!

Your "London flat bottom" sweeps up a bit at the back end. That's naughty!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Alden,

I remove most of the waste with a forstner bit to start with and then remove the remaining waiste with a turning saw or coping saw.
    I do the initial shaping with a small knife, and then use a rasp and finally sandpaper.
    I could skip the knife, but I do enjoy doing some of the shaping that way.
    The hardest part for me is keeping a nice sharp transition from the rounded surface to the flats on the sides. Sometimes I find it helpfull to get all of the shaping and sanding done, and then as a final step, plane the flat faces again to try and resore some of the crisp lines that the sandpaper destroyed.

-Jeff
    Beautiful work, understanding how you do it makes me appreciate it even more. Thanks for the explanation!

-Alden

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Indeed, very nice!

Your "London flat bottom" sweeps up a bit at the back end. That's naughty!
    Yep, No one will accuse me of being a purist.

Very nice work Jeff. You did very good.

Here's one I made a while ago.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Very nice Stevie!! I love the brass back! Must have been alot of work but worth it in the end. Ho doe it work?

Thanks for sharing the pics