Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backsaw rebuild done

Hi Mike. The brass back was shaped by hand. As you mention it adds to the presentation. The backsaw itself works beautifully. All hand sharpened of course.

regards; Stewie.

Hi Mike. I spent a couple of years focused on just making backsaws. The handle designs are my own.

I then decided I needed a bit of a break from saw making and return to my previous interest, making traditional hand planes. This time with an emphasis on using toothing irons. Here's an example of 1 of those planes.

Click on photo to enlarge.

From toothing planes I have now switched to making traditional Boxed Chamfer Planes. Here's the prototype I made that will form the basic design for another 4 I am currently building.

Here you can see a recent photo of those 4 chamfer planes in progress.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-15-2014 at 10:19 PM.

" I didn't have any saw nuts on hand so made some from 1/4-28 stainless steel nuts and bolts."
    Jeff,
    I would be interested in how you made the saw nuts. They look great.

Beautiful saw Stewie!

Congrats yourself Jeff. Your backsaw handle turned out real sweet.

regards; Stewie.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Hi Mike. I spent a couple of years focused on just making backsaws. The handle designs are my own.

I then decided I needed a bit of a break from saw making and return to my previous interest, making traditional hand planes. This time with an emphasis on using toothing irons. Here's an example of 1 of those planes.

Click on photo to enlarge.

Stewie;
    Stewie,

I love the sharp, crisp details of this plane.

Quote Originally Posted by bill howes View Post
    " I didn't have any saw nuts on hand so made some from 1/4-28 stainless steel nuts and bolts."
    Jeff,
    I would be interested in how you made the saw nuts. They look great.
    Hello Bill,

I started with a 1/4-28 x 1-1/4 stainless steel hex head bolt. First, I ground the hex head round using a bench grinder. Since the hex head bolt has a round detail on top, it was pretty easy to get it very close to round using the grinder. Next I chucked the bolt up in my drill press and used a file and sand paper to true and polish the outside surface and top. I then slotted the head using a hacksaw and cleaned up with a very thin needle file that I made by grinding one side down so it is thin enough to fit in the slot.

For the slotted nut, I started with 1/4-28 nuts and ground them round as I did with the bolts above. I just locked two of them together on a bolt to serve as a mandrel. After truning them round and polishing, I slotted them as I did with the bolt.

I'm not sure they look as nice as brass saw nuts, but they work in a pinch.

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff. They look great to me. I'll have to try that,