Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotating a piece when spraying lacquer

Rotating a piece when spraying lacquer

I have not used lacquer much in the past, but am considering using it a bit more frequently in the future. Rattle can stuff. Along these lines, I am thinking about the benefits of having the piece rotating while it is being sprayed rather than having it sit stationary. I have read of numerous set-ups to provide the rotation, but have never heard of anyone utilizing an old turntable (photograph, record player, etc) and am wondering how well it might work. My questions follow.

1. Is 33.33 rpm within the desired rotational speed window when spraying a piece or would that be considered too fast?

2. If 33.33 rpm is too fast, can I utilize an 'external' variable speed control designed for use with a router to vary the speed? I happen to have one of these sitting around the shop, unused. As I recall, there is a type of electric motor with which these speed controls are compatible while other electric motors would be damaged by such a use. Induction motors, perhaps??? I don't recall, nor do I know the type of motor typically found in a turntable. Any advice/thoughts?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

That's well beyond my skill level but it does sound interesting. I'm sure you thought of the lazy susan method of manually turning as you spray. If you complete your project, have to share a video.

Glen, I messed around with it a few times with mixed results. I assume you've tried spraying it on a piece while it's still on the lathe. For me it was hard to judge how much I had on and when it would start to run. When I didn't have that problem, the perfectionist in me would see a flaw in the surface and I'd mess up the finish trying to fix it. That said, I did get some really nice high gloss results occasionally. I just found finishes I get along with better. When I need shine in a hurry, I still have a can of lacquer in the cabinet.

I think you should hang on to any turntables you have. Vinyl is making a comeback. Seriously, why not just a lazy Susan?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I use a lazy susan and turn manually, so I can control the spray. It does make it easier that if it were manual, IMO. I bought some ball bearing lazy susan bases (maybe from a big box store?) and screwed plywood that I cut into a circle. It is easy to turn the base by hand.

I have a glass lazy susan (I can scrape off residue) and also spray on the lathe either manually or at the lowest speed (50rpm?) my Jet will do. Sometimes turn manually to spray and then start the lathe while drying before the next coat. On the lathe - light coats with wet polishing between coats.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I too use a Lazy Susan mine has a piece of plywood that just sits on it and is easily replaced. I now turn some smaller hollow forms and hang them from bent wire which allows be to finish the bottom at the same time. I take a longer section of small wire, form short angles on the ends, I gently round the ends to prevent damage to the vessel, then bend in the middle so they sort of spring out when the short ends are inserted into the top of the hollow form. Sometimes I have 6 or 8 hanging in my shop at one time.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have a honing station I built using a 74 rpm garage door motor. I tried it (covering the diamond plate) with mixed results. It may work with a turntable since you have 33, 45, & 78 rpm. The smaller the diameter the higher the speed.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I may wind up with nothing more than a lazy Susan but I thought a motorized version would make it easier and would yield a more consistent coat of lacquer. My wife speculates that I could find a turntable at Goodwill for perhaps as little as $10 - $15. I figure for an investment that small, it might make a fun project.

Now I need to figure out if I should look for a belt drive or direct drive turntable. (just kidding.)
    Regards,

Glen

I saw one that seemed to turn at a reasonable speed. It came from an old microwave oven. Another thought would be a BBQ rotisserie motor.

Dwight has it! I made mine using an old BBQ rotisserie motor. It turns much slower than 33 1/3 rpm. It is just a toy, though. I think that I get similar results turning the lazy susan by hand.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Rotisserie motors are exactly what I have been reading that folks are using. My notion was that using a turntable would be more of a turnkey approach and would require less tinkering/assembly. The higher speed of a turntable as compared to a rotisserie is what elicited this thread.
    Regards,

Glen

You can always mount a stick (2x2") in a vise and put your vase/bowl down over it and just walk around it.

This is what I use to finish small hollow forms and coffee mugs when I use spray poly. chuck is thru the top opening in expansion mode with pin jaws. If I have to touch up the top opening where the spray can't reach due to the chuck, then when done I just use a coat or two of wipe on poly for that area. Scrap wood, a BBQ grill rotisserie motor from Amazon (turns at 20-25rpm), a bearing from amazon and a carving chuck mandrel from Lee Vally (if I remember correctly). the blue masking tape is ugly but it keeps the over spray off my chuck.

Ricc
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know a guy that uses a BBQ rotisserie to do his Pepper mills he said he can put on a lot more lacquer with no runs .

Another way to do this is a little on the expensive side in my opinion (about $50). Members of my club had me make and list for them the parts to make one that uses an electric seat motor from American Science Surplus ($20 shipped) and an electronic control board & power supply from Amazon ($20 shipped). A box and switch from Radio shack and 2" L brackets from Lowes ($5-10). It will turn at 10 to 180 rpm for hours and the members use it to brush on poly or spray. Again, I feel it's a little expensive but they keep asking for the parts list and building them, so what do I know? They will use a mandrel made from 1/2" pvc and hot glue to a wooden disk. The advantage is the board can run several motors at a time. One of the pictures show a double motor rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images