Thread: Atkins saw ID help

Atkins saw ID help

Subject: Atkins Saw ID/Question

A potential gloat...I picked up this saw a while back and haven't taken the time to post it. I've searched the WWW and have come to the conclusion that it is an Atkins No. 52 - the Atkins version of the Disston Acme 120. I believe this primarily because it has no set and has a full plate depth, so i don't think the set was filed away. Also, based on its original condition, sun bleached handle, more rust on one side than the other, worm holes in the handle, etc., I don't think it saw much use - likely hung on a wall somewhere. The etch is almost completely gone, but I can make out that it is an Atkins, so the medallion wasn't switched.

Is this an Atkins 52?

The Specs:
    5ppi
    Plate depth at toe: 2.75"
    Plate depth just in front of tote: 7"
    Length of the toothline: 27.5"

IMG_0018.JPGIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpg

Blog Entries
    hi William, based on the saw nut configuration and the skew back your saw is either a #51 or a #52 – either way you're a winner!

To my knowledge, the only way to tell the difference is the number on the saw plate in the etch (which is almost always missing with Atkins), the amount of taper ground into the saw plate (the 52 has more from tooth line to top line) and the lack of set/tooth configuration. You could use some calipers to measure the taper in the plate and compare to a known reference.

52's in the thumb hole rip configuration are extremely rare as a majority were purchased for crosscutting seasoned, dry hardwoods. If I had to guess I say you just hit the jackpot and it is a #52.

This entitles you to a hearty round of "you suck"

Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike. Looks like it is a gloat! So I checked the plate thickness:
    Toe top - 0.028", toothline 0.038
    Center top - 0.032", toothline 0.038
    Tote top - 0.035", toothline 0.038

I wasn't able to find a reference - know an Internet source?

Interesting that there is no front to back taper at the tooth line, but otherwise similar to the numbers I've gotten off of disstons. No doubt a good saw regardless.

Atkins saws in disstons patterns are way cool.