Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unplugging my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Good idea to buy a restored saw to start. ........ Another option that no one mentioned is a bowsaw. WoodJoy tools makes excellent bowsaws at very reasonable prices, both in rip and XX. A Japanese Turbo blade in a WoodJoy bowsaw is easy to use and instead of having to sharpen the blade you can just replace it when the extra hard Japanese teeth finally wear out. Japanese blades are available in crosscut, rip and turning or jigging blades. One bowsaw with a few blades may handle the work of three or four handsaws which may be a bonus for a new user.
    Mike,

I wanted to get a saw that was set up properly so I would have a benchmark as to what a good saw should feel like in use. Mike Allen did a great job with the saw so now I know what it can do when sharp. I will have to start on the slippery slope of learning how to keep it sharp and properly tuned. The geometry is a bit daunting for a saw newbie; rake, fleam, set, gullet etc. But with winter coming its time to put my road bike away and get into the shop.

I do have a bow saw with a Japanese Turbo blade that I bought at Highland in Atlanta when passing through to Florida a couple of years ago. I must admit I only use it for small jobs and can't follow a long line with any accuracy.

Real reason for updating the thread was to let everyone know how happy I am with the saw and the service I got from Mike Allen. He was great to deal with and I would definitely buy another saw from him. In fact if it wasn't for the cost of shipping (plus brokerage fees and taxes - I live in Canada) I would send the saw back to him when it comes time to have it sharpened.
    Last edited by Larry Temins; 10-29-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added text