Thread: Clamping a honing stone on the ends advisable?

Clamping a honing stone on the ends advisable?

Is it OK to clamp a honing stone by applying pressure to it's ends, to hold it in place while sharpening?

I ask this because I know some of the fine and expensive stones for example the Japanese water stones are sometimes delicate and in some conditions are prone to cracking...and some of them are as large as 4" x 10 inches long and was wondering if it was safe to apply some pressure on the ends of the stone to hold it into place on a work bench?

The cracking of those stones is probably not due to end to end pressure. As long as the stones are supported on the bottom, it's fine to put moderate pressure on the ends of the stones, just enough to hold them in place in a holder or something. You will see traditional japanese stones sometimes on a board with a wedge - and such a setup puts pressure on the ends of a stone to hold it in place.

The same goes for synthetic waterstones.

Thanks...

Just curious - if the stone is cupped on the bottom, would not downward force of a tool cause cracking of some stones? Regardless of end pressure?

It depends on how thick they are and how fragile they are. If it's a concern, it's best to set an irregular shaped (back bowed, whatever) in plaster.

Set in plaster?

Yes. If you have a very fragile irregular stone, it's best to make a shallow mortise in a board and set the stone in plaster so that it has support. Thin stones and fragile stones are just that, though - it's better to not get rough with them.

If you look at japanese stone dealers, you'll see razor stones as thin as a 3rd of an inch - if they're good, people will use them until they give up or are worn through. It's sort of unusual for a stone that's not flat backed to survive to that thinness, though.

I hold mine down with tube and tile caulking from the home center.

It's easy enough to strip off, if necessary.