Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Not Make a Huge Mistake

Question Help Me Not Make a Huge Mistake

I am looking at the PSI Woodworking TCLC12VS Commander 12-Inch Variable Speed Midi Lathe. It is on sale for $460.00 but out of stock.

It has most everything I need for now, Turning some Pens, smaller bowls (6") and vessels.
    Sure I would like the Jet for $2400 but that will need to wait.

It looks like my Nova G3 chuck will work and it has (2) MT2

It has a 1HP motor with Reverse and VS, the bed is also expandable.

Am I missing something here? With a 1HP motor it seems this may be a real good powerful lathe.

Any advice, good and bad?

Thanks!!!

Have not turned on the PSI lathe but have owned the similar Delta midi and it has plenty of power for what you are talking about. Yes you can stall the motor, but that only teaches you to use sharp tools and appropriate cuts.

3. You can get the Jet 1221 vs for about $799...........same horsepower and likely not have to wait till some come from overseas. It is a fine midi lathe with 12.5" swing, if you have the $$$ to make it happen. Most everyone who has used one seems to sing its praises.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Have not turned on the PSI lathe but have owned the similar Delta midi and it has plenty of power for what you are talking about. Yes you can stall the motor, but that only teaches you to use sharp tools and appropriate cuts.
    Thanks Paul, I guess any motor can be stalled but I am wondering why you mentioned it. Usually that means it has been noted that this lathe does this, not really something I want. With a 1hp motor I would think it would be hard to bog it down and would flip the tool out of your hands first???

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You can get the Jet 1221 vs for about $799...........same horsepower and likely not have to wait till some come from overseas. It is a fine midi lathe with 12.5" swing, if you have the $$$ to make it happen. Most everyone who has used one seems to sing its praises.
    Thanks Roger, my head is sp inning with all the choices, options etc... I have looked at that Jet too and the Delta 46-460. Each seems close in options and details. The PSI just seemed to be the best as to cost. I do want a powerful lathe and with my knowledge of motors it would seem that these MIDI's 1hpwould be as powerful as a full size lathe running a 1hp motor. That is where I must be missing something.

Have you talked with any wood turning clubs, maybe they have a someone that has one to part with . ask your self in a year an i going to want a bigger lathe.

A member in our club (who does mostly pens) bought the Commande and stated he has had issues with quality and proformance. Another member bought the Jet 12-21 and states he loves it. We have 3 smaller PSI lathes at our club work shop that no one uses. Plastic lock handles broke, motors that delay before they kick in. Tool rests that don't hold. We also have two Jet minis that are a much better quality. My opinion is to try to find a club and ask how many have PSI lathes vs. Jets, Deltas, or Ricons.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Money for a lathe vs options out there is always a challenge! I agree with Joe's suggestion of getting with a local turning club and seeing if anyone there has a lathe they want to sell. Could net you a more powerful lathe for less money. Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Ok Thanks guys, Guess I will back down for awhile. The Commander is a nice looking lathe but I have enough paper weights laying around.

I have that lathe and have had issued with it. I'm on my second headstock for it. The shaft in the first was bent. The current one has an issue with the metal shoulder by the headstock threads not being true. After the asspain of getting the first headstock repaired, I just live with it. PSI tech support is of minimal help. Anything threaded on the shaft like a chuck wobbles. The inside taper runs true at least. I'd recommend looking for a different lathe. Check craigslist or your local turning club for a used lathe.

Rich

I have the regular Jet 1221 non variable speed. I love it but would sell it for $350.00 I live in Gainesville, TX. 940-665-4172.

Louis

Thanks Rich, you have sealed my mind, NO Psi for me. Louis, Thanks for the offer but I for sure want VS.

What do you all think about the Delta 46-460, 5 year warranty too? I read Customer support is bad. Pretty sure Jet will be my choice but if I remember many of the Jets low speed is really to fast for rough bowl blanks.

I want VS and Reversible for sure.

Alan,

although the Delta was a good lathe when it was released, the customer service side of the equation adds lots of strikes against them now. There has been issues with the switch and delays in getting the parts.

The 1hp motors maybe different between the dc and ac versions as far a torque goes. I am not expert so I am not sure 1hp completely equals 1hp all the time.

I would save my pennies for the jet. The brand has a great track record and the new machine seems a nice set up from the older 1014vs, that was my first lathe and I still have it for small items.

Too many switch problems. Parts system for Delta is still a mess. Used ones are showing up, but switch is hard to find.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I can not believe that no one has found an off the shelf replacement for the Delta switches. I have one of the early 46-460s and mine is still working fine. I keep the area around the switches clean with my shopvac. If I do have the switch problem I will be looking for a non-Delta replacement, preferably sealed against dust.