Thread: Yellow Pine Bowl

Yellow Pine Bowl

This is from a piece of yellow pine that I have had in the shop for awhile. I have turned a couple of other piece from the wood of the same tree and have really liked the way it looks. The yellow pine has lots of pitch in it and is heavily spalted. It was first attacked by pine bark beetles and the got the spalting through their wholes. The bowl was turned thin so that the heavily pitched areas would be translucent. The bowl is 9 7/8"w x 3 1/4"h and is about 3/16" thick. I dipped it twice in my oil blend and the Beall buffed it. C&C welcomed
    1280-1.jpg 1280-3.jpg

Nice form and I really like the color variations of the wood! Hope the knots don't check on you! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

very nice bowl

next, are you telling me the first thing you turned on the robust was pine.....or was that the piece you buffed????????????? anyway it must of been the first of something!!!!!!

It was the first piece I buffed. Won't be able to make chips fly until either Sunday night or Monday

5. Great color Steve and the translucence and finish are top notch.

I really like the bowl. Not easy to work with pitched pine.
    C&C WELCOME

Way to handle the pitch. Great form and color. You really brought it together in a beautiful piece.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

great pine bowl!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

This bowl is exceptional in every way. Love the shape and wood.