Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncrated and ready to go!!!!

Uncrated and ready to go!!!!

My new lathe came yesterday about 3:30. The driver backed the truck up into the yard and got me about 30 feet closer to the entrance to the house that I needed. I then took all of the crating material off and got it ready for my "work crew." About 6PM the four of us got it off the pallet and onto two moving dollies. We used the plywood from the crate to move it over the grass and into the house and finally into the shop. I have attached a couple of pictures. I did use it this morning to buff a bowl but no shavings yet. Going out of town so I'll have to wait until Monday.
    I want to thank Brent & Deb English and all the crew at Robust for making me this GREAT lathe. They do a great job and are easy to talk to and work with.
    I guess I can no longer say, "If only I had a bigger and better lathe."

Lathe-1.jpg Lathe-2.jpg lathe-3.jpg

Color me green.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I always wondered what a ______ ________ grin looks like, congratulations.

Eye CandyCongrats on the new piece of equipment.

Blog Entries
    What a beauty enjoy!

6. Beautiful........simply beautiful!!! Congratulations Steve.......I hope to join you in time as an owner of one of those!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Sweeeeeeeeet.

Congrats on the Beauty Steve.

Steve - Congrats on your new lathe! You are going to love using it! I've had mine for 3 years now and it is still amazing at how smooth everything is! Be sure to give us an update after you have had some time turning! Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It looks so nice it will be hard to get it dirty. Yes the color is green, envy Have fun it is a great lathe

Thanks for the comments. I feel like a kid at Christmas that just got his first bike. Can't wait to get in the shop and do some turning. Managed to use it to buff a bowl, but because of other things this weekend won't be able to get to turning until Sunday night or Monday I'll keep you posted about my experience.

Roger, if you are really thinking about getting one, don't wait too long, you want to be able to enjoy it before your too old to think you can't get your money's worth out of it

Possibly the lathe of my dreams. Not sure I will ever own one, but hope to upgrade from my 1642 next year when the warrantee runs out.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thom, that's close to where I was in taking the next step to upgrade. I like the 1642 but wanted something that had larger capacity. Looked at the 3520 and 4224 along with the Robusts. Several things finally made me go with the Robust: 1) the ability to adjust the height (I found the spindle height on the 1642 to be just a little high for me. I built a 4" plate form to stand on and it made a world of difference.); 2) stainless steel ways; 3) gas assisted tilt-away for tail stock; 4) ability to optimize/customize your lathe; 5) American made; 6) quality all aspects of the product; and 6) great customer service before and after purchase. Granted the 3520 is considerable cheaper than the AB but you are not really comparing apples to apples. The 4224 is close but for what it cost, might as well go with the Cadillac instead of the Buick. Just my thought process in making my decision. Good luck.

I'm currently drooling over the Liberty - I don't generally turn large and like the sliding head. Currently $6100 with tilt-away, legs, and 2hp upgrade vs $4000 for the Powermatic with a higher top speed and digital speed readout.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I'm currently drooling over the Liberty - I don't generally turn large and like the sliding head. Currently $6100 with tilt-away, legs, and 2hp upgrade vs $4000 for the Powermatic with a higher top speed and digital speed readout.
    Thom,Not trying to instigate anything but CPO has 15% off + free delivery until Monday on the 3520B. Just sayinDave