Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Bandsaw

Small Bandsaw

I am looking for a small bandsaw...around a 10" size. I have a larger one that I use for many things such as resawing.

I looked at some of the reviews for the Rikon, Craftsman, and Skil and have not been impressed with reviews and comments. The Jet 10" seems to get better reviews.

Does anyone have any good experiences with these smaller bandsaws. I want one that I can use 1/8" and 1/4" blades and will not be using it for doing resawing.

I bought the Jet a few years ago before I knew anything about bandsaws (and I still know very little). What I do know, it's poorly made. It's finicky to get different blades tracking correctly and the urethane (if it's even that) is already stretched out on both wheels. If you can find one used, I wouldn't pay sight unseen or more than $100.

I bought a used 14" Delta from a buddy for $200 that does everything I need it to.
    -Lud

I'm going to say something you probably don't want to hear, but I've had a little 10" saw and it was good for crafting, and cutting small pieces, but never ever was able to do any resawing. Only very narrow boards will work, and it will never track. They just don't have the mojo for that. Now thats with saw's today. you could find an old antique saw like a walker-turner 10" and that would be a diff story. They were real beasts made of cast iron.

To do resawing I'd suggest a 14" minimum. I've done some with an old 1934 delta bs that's ok, but I really did not get good results till I got a 17" big boy with a 1" blade.

if budget is the issue, watch searchtempest.com. It will hit all the craig lists in your area. Find an old american made BS and you wont' be dissapointed. I've got a 16" walkerturner I've got new bearings to put in and it will be a beast. I know I don't need 3 bandsaws but this one was cheap and I could not resist.

Take care and good luck.

I have the 10" Rikon to supplement my Minimax. It's a decent little saw as long as you don't push it too hard.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I also have the Rikon 10". I have had it for 3 years. It has served me well. I do not try to push it. I make mostly end grain cutting boards. I have cut/resawn over 18 different species of hardwoods with it. You can tell which is harder very quickly. Once I set it up and understood how this band saw worked, then I just kept on cutting. I find the smaller 1/4" blades work the best. I have an 1/8" blade but I have never had the need to use it. I does what it is designed to do if set up properly, as with any machine. I had a bearing seize up on me after a year. I replaced them all. It seems when I changed from a 1/2" to a 1/4" blade I did not adjust the bearings. Now I know and it works well.
    I hope this is helpful.

Ellery Becnel

I purchased a Rikon 10" band saw from Highland Hardware 3 or 4 years ago. Its a nice little saw that I now use in addition to my larger Felder FB 610. As stated above you just have to go slow when using the small saws and they work fine. I have cut Corian, plastics and lots of wood with my Rikon band saw.

Blog Entries
    I can't speak to the new smaller saws but, your concept is sound. I no sooner sold my small saw after getting a large one than I went looking for another small saw to replace it (Doh!). I have a 1970's era Delta 10". It has been great as an addition to my larger saw. The footprint is only slightly less than a 14" saw which would be much easier to find used, has many aftermarket parts and accessories available, etc. I'm just sayin'.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It sounds like the Rikon would be a good choice for me. In addition to cabinet building, I also do Intarsia with my scrollsaw. The small bandsaw would be a great addition for me. I also have a 16" Jet Bandsaw that I use for Resawing.

For those with a Rikon, it looks like the guides are roller bearings on the side but I can not see the thrust bearing on the back side. How easy is it to set the bearings and have you had any problems with the guide system?

Thanks

If you can come upon a used (well cared for) Shopsmith 11" with a power stand, you'll have a great smaller saw. I used one for years with good results.
    Whatever you choose, I suggest that you stay away from 3 wheel saws.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

+1 for the Shopsmith on a power stand.
    Go Mountianeers

Larry, here's a pic of the Rikon thrust bearing. A simple affair to adjust with an Allen wrench.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What a great picture by Bruce....that is very useful. But now, you need to post more pictures of the table that you are using as it looks extremely nice. Thanks for the post and picture.

Thinking back on it the aluminum table was my only complaint with the BS, it was a bit cheesy IMO. The Craftsman version had a nicer cast iron table IIRC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andy Rooney

I can't add to the discussion on the band saws, but would like to comment on reviews. I read a LOT of reviews, and some are pretty obvious that they could be thrown out as being written by a person who shouldn't have even been allowed to purchase the product in question--we've all seen those. What i often find toughest is what gets written on some of the small versions of tools that have a range of size and applicability. The 10" band saw or bench top drill press would be classic cases to me. From reading reviews on those tools, there's no way to tell if some of the negative reviews were written by people who had 14" or 16" dual speed expectations from a 10" saw. Or--rave reviews on the capability of a drill press that did a single job that could have been done with a 12 volt HF hand drill. Much easier for me to respect the responses here than it is at an online merchant's site.

In this case Larry has a specific spot to fill and is looking for the right spot to fill it. And...the opinions/observations given were likely much more accurate than what i'd have read on any number of review sites. Makes me happy that i renewed my subscription this week!! Thanks!!

earl

I have a Skil HD3640 (technically I have three of them) made in Taiwan about a dozen years ago, before most inexpensive/small tool production moved to China.

It has a 1/2-HP motor and resaws to seven inches (and yes, I've resawn 7" high stock). I acquired the unit used, and had to replace the tires. But the saws typically go for around $75 to $125 on the used market, and so spending some money on tires seems reasonable.

The same saw was sold as a Dremel model with two speeds (the Skil is single-speed). But basically the same frame. Also was sold as a Delta, but I believe the upper blade guides are slightly different on the Delta (and maybe not as nice). I can't confirm that, I've never seen a Delta in person and I'm only going by pictures.

The frame is cast aluminum. The upper blade guides move on a heavy hexagonal (I think) steel rod which moves perfectly parallel to the blade on all three of my saws. The blade guides are plastic with a 3/8" square cross-section. I replaced those with Lignum Vitae, which wears like iron.

I have one of these saws setup w/ a 1/2" x 3-tooth bimetal blade, used for ripping/resawing wood. I have a 2nd setup with a 1/4" 6-TPI blade which I use for curves and cutting plastic.

Oh, and the saws track blades very nicely, and also run extremely smoothly.

So I'd try to find one of these older saws, if you can.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 09-27-2014 at 4:15 PM.