Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reforming a tool junkie

Reforming a tool junkie

I have been a tool junkie for quite a while now, and I have talked for quite a while about reforming....a decade or so. This last couple weeks, I finally decided my shop is definitely not growing larger, so if I want room to work, I have to bite the bullet and push some of this stuff out the door.

I would like to report that I took my first baby steps this month, and have sold off a horizontal boring machine, a small router table, and a downdraft sanding table. This is maybe 20% of what I need to get rid of, but it is a step in the right direction. I can actually see the floor in a small area now.

Goodbye old friends, I never used thee.

P9220060.jpg P9220057.jpg PA060001.jpg

I still have a bunch of neat stuff I never use. Next month with a little help from my fellow addicts, I hope to repeat this feat.

To be continued?

Rick Potter

Two words for you buddy.

Bigger building!

What are you thinking? If news gets out that tools can be sold all of our tool collections will be in jeopardy. Spouses everywhere will be clambering for cash, and worse yet actually questioning tool purchases actual necessity!

Ya, I know how you feel, And I am thinking of throwing a few tools on the block to free up space. Need an Omga RN700.....

Larry

I am actually thinking of refining the addiction when I move into the larger shop. Congrats on your first steps.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Wait! Wait! Wait!....Move to New Jersey first.... Then put your stuff up foe sale!

Larry,

How about an Omga RN900? It's on the list. 37" crosscut.

Mike,

This IS the new larger shop. In my case, it will never grow.

On a serious note, I think you are going to love to work in your shop once you clear space. Seven years ago I was in a one car garage, it was decently packed not because of too many tools but too little space. When we moved to a house with a two car garage I felt I had too much space. As expected filled it up with too many tools and then ended up selling several to create a nice working space. Once in a while I regret selling my Jet oscillating drum sander, but I still think my usage does not justify the space it took.

Rick,

You're an inspiration to many of us; unfortunately, many of us are also procrastinators when deciding to thin the herds.

Rick,How did that delta downdraft table work? I have a crude (but effective homemade one) but always had my eye out for one of those. Worth it?

David,

I was happy with it, until I swapped out all my sanders for newer models with dust fittings. Now I use my outfeed table to sand on, with a shop vac attached to the sanders. This works almost as well, except for dust that goes off the side of the work, which the table would catch.

I was happy with the table, I just switched because of space. Note that mine was the smaller of two that Delta made, it was 1/2 HP. The larger had a bigger table by about 6" and a larger motor. If you find one, make sure the filter is in good shape, it is glued to the metal drawer, and I suspect is now made of unobtanium. You might check. I kept mine clean by vacuuming it out and blowing. Mine sold for $250, which is what I was asking.

RP

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    David,I was happy with it, until I swapped out all my sanders for newer models with dust fittings. Now I use my outfeed table to sand on, with a shop vac attached to the sanders. This works almost as well, except for dust that goes off the side of the work, which the table would catch.I was happy with the table, I just switched because of space. Note that mine was the smaller of two that Delta made, it was 1/2 HP. The larger had a bigger table by about 6" and a larger motor. If you find one, make sure the filter is in good shape, it is glued to the metal drawer, and I suspect is now made of unobtanium. You might check. I kept mine clean by vacuuming it out and blowing. Mine sold for $250, which is what I was asking.RP
    Thanks Rick,Every now and then they show up on CL around here usually in the $400.00 range but there's a tool guy over in Ohio that fixes them up for resale. I was aware of the 2 sizes and the filter info. Thanks again.Dave

Last spring I spent a lot of time maximizing space for storing tools in a two car garage. I was amazed at how much room I could make. Then we moved down the street to a house with a three car garage. I am in heaven. While my space is bigger but still limited I am trying to be aware of all my purchases from a space stand point otherwise I will end up spending more time moving tools around than actual woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Last spring I spent a lot of time maximizing space for storing tools in a two car garage. I was amazed at how much room I could make. Then we moved down the street to a house with a three car garage. I am in heaven. While my space is bigger but still limited I am trying to be aware of all my purchases from a space stand point otherwise I will end up spending more time moving tools around than actual woodworking.
    This is so similar to my story. I started in a one car garage in Chicago, that was pretty packed not because of too many tools but too little space. When I moved to a two car garage house in CA, I felt I was in haven. The it got filled up with tools. Then I sold some of the space hogs and now again have a decent shop space to work in. Once in a while I miss the Jet oscillating drum sander I sold, but still the usage does not justify the space it takes, so I am happy that i sold it.

Have you considered taking a course with William Ng?

His school could be instrumental in helping you create
    a "blended" shop with more hand tools, and a few
    key power tools remaining.

http://wnwoodworkingschool.com/

Good for you Rick. I need to do the same thing. I'm less than two months from having a shop again, and since my stuff has been in storage, I've picked up about 8 more big machines. I will have to cull some. (Actually, just last night, I put an old unisaw up for sale on CL, and already got a bite!)

Keep doing this and you will not be declared a winner when your time comes, in fact it will be required that you have a closed casket service.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.