Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Writing Desk Completed

Cherry Writing Desk Completed

I just completed this TimMahoney inspired writing desk. It was my first attempt at multiple inset drawers. There are a lot of imperfections, but I'll let you find them. Pulls are walnut. I have an affinity for legs that taper but terminate in a foot. However, I haven't found something yet that's well-defined without feeling too formal.

The drawer insides and all the drawer supports are beech from a yard tree taken down last year. This beech was pretty stable and easy to work and finish, even if it's a little boring to look at. The cherry is from a curly slab from Pete @ Horizon. I've purchased a good deal (for a hobbyist) of wood from Horizon sight-unseen and ALL of it has been very wonderful; Pete is generous about pulling things out and taking pictures so you know what you're getting. I find this process very efficient.

Thanks for any C&C.

Finished in oil varnish (mostly ArmRSeal with a dollop of BLO).

Signing furniture always feels weird to me. Instead, I tucked away a couple inlays on the inside drawer rails that represent my kids.

PP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-27-2014 at 1:30 PM.

Very nice, Prashun. I like the length. It looks like it's long enough to be a hunt board.

Interesting decision to put sapwood on the edges. Did you do that to coordinate with the beech front ?

The feet add a finality to the legs. They are certainly a unique design element. I like the well-rounded-over centers of the stretchers. Does that foot rail stretcher arch ?

Well done. Is it for personal use ?

Nicely done.

Thanks for including your fitting steps.
    The sculpted stretcher assembly is elegant.

Kudos

Beautiful work!

Thanks guys. Yonak, The top is bookmatched. The sap was evidence of how straight this board was. Seemed a pity not to leave that in tact. Sap wood rarely bothers me as it does many.

The fronts are cherry, as are all visible parts. The dividers appear lighter because they are from a separate piece than the slab comprising the top and drawer fronts and legs.

the center stretcher is arched front to back.

I dont have a home for this yet.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-27-2014 at 4:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Nice Prashun,

A beautiful and useful piece.

PHM

Beautiful work Prashun.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    What a home-run. I really dig the blended joinery, the foot detail and that top is outta site. I love playing with sap wood and your use on the top is . . . well . . . tops. Is the stretcher really arced or is it the picture?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow....that's really awesome! Prashun, you've become on of my favorite makers here! One outstanding piece after another!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice table Prashun,The Knobs are my favorite style.Looks like it was a difficult glue up.Thanks for sharing.Aj

Thank you for the comments! (Jim, I'm humbled!)

Andrew, I cannot take credit for the knobs. I could have turned them myself, but it just wasn't worth the time; I bought them from a supplier here in NJ. I did labor over the decision though, so I'm pleased someone else thinks I chose wisely.

As for the glue up, this is an interesting point, as I made the interior assembly specifically to be easy to glue up. I glued up the legs and aprons first. The dividers were placed in next. They slid in from the front. They rest on a cleat attached to the rear apron. This allowed me to square them one at a time without sweating to beat the glue set. Then I attached a top ledger to the rear apron that was dadoed to capture the dividers laterally. I screwed on the kickers and runners for the drawers which was very helpful for fitting; they could be removed and shaved as necessary.

i.e., I took the easy way out!!!

I am not completely happy with the thickness of the dividers and upper and lower rails. They feel a little chunky at 3/4". Is it acceptable to make them thinner, say 5/8" on something this long (64")?
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-27-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Very nice Prashun. Inset drawers are always a pain for me. Squareness and a consistent gap between the drawer/door and the frame are areas I obsess on.

I agree on Horizon, I have bought a few things from them sight unseen and they go out of their way to make sure I get something that suits my needs and is good quality. They are always first on my list when I am looking for something unique. The effort and time they put in for a hobbyist such as you and myself is impressive.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

You've knocked another one out of the park Prashun. Beautiful work as always. I like the sapwood on the top.
    What species is the bowl? Is that your handiwork also?

Blog Entries
    You do nice work!

Well...every one is praising your work....and they are right!!!

Beautiful. If you love wood, that top is tops!