Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Writing Desk Completed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Thank you for the comments! (Jim, I'm humbled!)

Andrew, I cannot take credit for the knobs. I could have turned them myself, but it just wasn't worth the time; I bought them from a supplier here in NJ. I did labor over the decision though, so I'm pleased someone else thinks I chose wisely.

As for the glue up, this is an interesting point, as I made the interior assembly specifically to be easy to glue up. I glued up the legs and aprons first. The dividers were placed in next. They slid in from the front. They rest on a cleat attached to the rear apron. This allowed me to square them one at a time without sweating to beat the glue set. Then I attached a top ledger to the rear apron that was dadoed to capture the dividers laterally. I screwed on the kickers and runners for the drawers which was very helpful for fitting; they could be removed and shaved as necessary.

i.e., I took the easy way out!!!

I am not completely happy with the thickness of the dividers and upper and lower rails. They feel a little chunky at 3/4". Is it acceptable to make them thinner, say 5/8" on something this long (64")?

Gorgeous work Prashun!

I don't think the rails and dividers are chunky by any means, but one way to slim them down visually is to rabbet them and have a drawer front that overhangs the drawer. You can also set them back and just have drawer fronts visible.

I would not go slimmer than 3/4 for the stretcher, it counteracts a large force if you have weight on the center front of the desk (like someone sitting on it)
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thats a great idea. I will rabbet them next time. This would also provide a natural stop for the drawers. Also, i notice that if there is light behind or under the table, then the lower drawer reveal appears stepped where the runner ends. Rabbeting the rails would mitigate this unforseen issue as well.

Really, really nice!

REgards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Blog Entries

Here's one I built a few years ago, the upper is rabbeted and the lower is completely covered along with the uprights. I also scalloped the back of the drawer face so that I could avoid using hardware.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-30-2014 at 5:07 PM.

Prashun,

I must agree with Jim; your workmanship and design are OUTSTANDING! Another beautiful piece . . .
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Astounding work!

Prashun, this is an absolutely stunning piece. Very well done, indeed. I am truly a fan of yours. Keep it coming, please and thank you.
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

Such a beautiful wood work! That is just too pretty to use. I admire your wood working skills.

Update:

I was accepted to display this piece at the New Hope Arts Center's Works in Wood Competition this November.

Nervous!!! It's one thing to take a selfie in your best light. But to go in front of judges is a whole 'nother thing.

Prashun, will this be your first juried show ? Best of luck. I will be pulling for you to take the top prize. It's a beautiful piece.

Not sure how I missed this thread. Beautiful desk Prashun. Good luck with your show.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad this one popped up again. I really like that desk.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Update:

I was accepted to display this piece at the New Hope Arts Center's Works in Wood Competition this November.

Nervous!!! It's one thing to take a selfie in your best light. But to go in front of judges is a whole 'nother thing.
    That's very exciting! I guess I'm going to have to see the exhibition this year...I missed it due to scheduling last year. One of my neighbors usually has something qualified and I know one other local maker who has participated. The judges for this year are excellent...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's beautiful, Prashun! I really love the way you joined the legs with the trestle. And those inlays, very cool! All very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Congrats, well deserved and will be pulling for you.

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra