Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher installation: Is this just a quick grab for cash??

Dishwasher installation: Is this just a quick grab for cash??

Ok, getting a new Dishwasher this week. EVERY place I called , said they REQUIRE I buy new hoses or else they will not hook up the new Dishwasher . Can't use the old hoses, they said. I replaced the line exactly ONE MONTH ago!! Nope, they say, got to buy NEW hoses!!

What's up with that ????

If the house floods, they are legally responsible for the damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I agree with moses. they probably don't want callbacks for busted hoses or water damage.

The supply and drain lines are out of site so common sense tells me that they should be replaced when replacing an old dishwasher. The dishwasher water supply is always under pressure until the washer valve opens up when a batch of dishes are being washed so if you go away for a while and you spring a leak in the water supply line you could have a major repair bill fixing the damage caused by the leak. I say it is not a scam but just a good idea learned from experience by the retailer. The new hoses probably do not cost very much.
    David B

When I bought my last dishwasher they refused to install it because it shared a circuit with the garbage disposal; so I was forced to do it myself. Pretty easy job.

Yeah, installing a dishwasher in a space that's already had a dishwasher is pretty easy. I've never had anyone install one for me - always did it myself and never had a problem. You probably won't have to make any changes to the plumbing or electrical to do the job.

I can understand why they want to have new hoses but if your's are new I'd go with that.

Mike

[If you don't want to do it yourself, you can hire a "handyman" to do it. They won't require new hoses.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-28-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

New hoses came with mine.

No upcharge there.
    Dishwashers are constantly vibrating,
    old fixtures and seals get stressed.

The worst time for an old seal is when the dishwasher is removed.
    That's typically when they fail.

What's this going to cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    When I bought my last dishwasher they refused to install it because it shared a circuit with the garbage disposal; so I was forced to do it myself. Pretty easy job.
    All the kitchens of homes I've owned only had one outlet under the sink and the dishwasher and garbage disposal both took their power from that one outlet. I can't even see why they would have a problem with sharing the circuit between the two devices. Neither takes a lot of power.

And what do they expect you to do? Run a new circuit? That's pretty unreasonable.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

buying new hoses may save you money in the long run

They can only be talking about the supply line anyway. There are no hoses for a dishwasher any longer. The drain hose comes pre-attached to the machine. Beyond that you normally have a 3/8" soft copper hot water supply line. My guess is though that these new installers likely all run the braided supply lines now which I cant stand. I dont even use braided supplies for toilets and sinks. Im old fashioned an still use plated soft copper for those as well. I simply dont trust those braided supply lines and if you read the tags on the lines the manufacturers state that they are only to be installed in areas that are visibly accessible. Which means they are not to be burried in walls or behind access panels. Under your dishwasher would qualify for a non-visual area.

I would agree that they are not wanting the liability of the old lines because they will be the last ones to touch it.

When I install a dishwasher I even buy rubber discharge hose and scrap the flimsy corrugated discharge line they ship with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    All the kitchens of homes I've owned only had one outlet under the sink and the dishwasher and garbage disposal both took their power from that one outlet. I can't even see why they would have a problem with sharing the circuit between the two devices. Neither takes a lot of power.

And what do they expect you to do? Run a new circuit? That's pretty unreasonable.

Mike
    That's exactly what they expected. I thought about disconnecting the garbage disposal until they were done, just to make them happy; but instead got a refund for the installation.

Same with our clothes washer. New hoses.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    A dishwasher can draw 1200 watts which is about 10 amps. A 3/4 Hp disposal can draw about 10 amps. Having both on a 20 amp breaker could trip the breaker if both are run at the same time. Dishwashers using the heating element or larger disposals would be a problem on the same circuit. That is why the NEC requires separate circuits.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you're physically able, look on youtube for a video on how to install a dishwasher. Usually there are only a couple of screws that hold it to the cabinet, one hose to install, a simple electrical connection, one drain to join, and two feet to let down. I can do a simple swap in less than 30 minutes.

When we had the kitchen redone, I was surprised at the number of circuits that were required. It does make sense when you look at the power draw of the various appliances. It is easy to do when all the walls are open but a real bear otherwise.