Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertisements More Annoying These Days?

Advertisements More Annoying These Days?

Has anyone else noticed advertisements getting more annoying both in volume intensity and audio-visually?

Blog Entries
    No, we usually record programs we like and zip through the commercials. I have noticed that there are now 6 commercial breaks per hour and the breaks are longer.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Plus the fact that they seemed to be geared towards idiots! They used to say 'sex sells' - now I think it's 'stupidly sells'.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

And I'm particularily annoyed by commercials that show women making men look stupid....(even if we are.)
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    And I'm particularily annoyed by commercials that show women making men look stupid....(even if we are.)
    They go hand-in-hand with the current TV shows that make men look stupid. Seems the flavor of the decade.

They're louder here, even on PBS - who has one of the loudest commercials that I can think of. I recall there being regulations on the books barring commercials that have a louder average volume than the programs they're embedded in. It doesn't appear that anyone is actually following that.

Our PBS station has a commercial that is literally two or three times louder than the underlying program, and in an attempt to be progressive, it's some sort of faux rock music on the commercial and a bunch of once per second scene changes. If I watch PBS in the room at low level, it can literally wake my son up from sleep a few rooms away.

As far as the content goes, I find the commercials that have a skit that has nothing to do with the product the most amusing, because you can't remember what they're trying to sell you. I have no idea why someone would purchase airtime to waste it like that, but it's kind of funny, especially if it goes by, you have no idea what it was about, and then there is a list of side effects like those from the saturday night live "happy fun ball" skit.

My bigger irk than TV commercials, though, are news stories that have a false headline and then the story is something else. I can't stand that, and I know it's designed to get you to click on the article to generate hits for ad revenue. That and tiled websites - if sites have misleading titles or go from a reasonable layout with lists in progression to a random tiled layout, then I don't read them.

I think I could live my life just fine if I never say another pharmaceutical add in my lifetime. Why are you wasting your money telling me about your drug. I'm not a doctor and can't write prescriptions. If I walk into a doctor's office and he prescribes something for me, should I ask him why he used this drug instead of the one I saw on t.v.?

I'm so sick of Cial__ and ___gra commercials. Do I really need to see an add 10 times a day for years to be sold on your product? If so, I'm pretty sure you'll never get your cost covered on that deal.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    should I ask him why he used this drug instead of the one I saw on t.v.?
    That's another irk. The drugs the tell you to go to your doctor and ask if they'll prescribe you a specific drug from the commercial. I'm sure that's translated to some people saying "hey, can you give me this pill, it sounds like it will work". Which would be extremely irritating to me if I were a doctor.

The other ones that really bug me is the AARP pushing insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    That's another irk. The drugs the tell you to go to your doctor and ask if they'll prescribe you a specific drug from the commercial. I'm sure that's translated to some people saying "hey, can you give me this pill, it sounds like it will work". Which would be extremely irritating to me if I were a doctor.
    +1
    I even asked my doctor about this and she said people come in and ask her to give them a prescription for a drug they don't need, formulated to cure a condition they don't have.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    +1
    I even asked my doctor about this and she said people come in and ask her to give them a prescription for a drug they don't need, formulated to cure a condition they don't have.
    I'm sure all of us run into this where we work. But do people really think that their doctor, who does this kind of work 5, 6, or 7 days a week doesn't think about what they do at a level that's far beyond what they as a patient understand?

I'm not a physician, but the same thing happens to me from time to time, and you can't really say "you know, you're wasting my time with these questions, and the level needs to go up several magnitudes before they're even relevant or might find something worthy of revision". Everyone wants to feel special, though, and I'm sure if a doctor said "you know, you are wasting my time and yours with these questions, and you've just done some of the drug maker's job - trying to advertise for them - and don't have much chance of yielding anything positive for yourself because ____".

My pet peeve is the web pages that start a video, with a commercial at the beginning, as soon as you go to the page. I just recently found how to stop those from playing.

I used to turn the sound off so I could read the text in peace, but I'd forget to turn it back on again.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There are ways to trick the intent of the noise limits by controlling the background noise level to make other sounds jump out. It is really annoying.

The commercials that bug me the most are the ones that say "ask your doctor if ????? is right for you", but they don't even tell you what it does.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    There are ways to trick the intent of the noise limits by controlling the background noise level to make other sounds jump out. It is really annoying.

The commercials that bug me the most are the ones that say "ask your doctor if ????? is right for you", but they don't even tell you what it does.

Steve
    Also, the ads that tell you to tell your doctor if you have X, Y or Z disorder / disease/ malaise / etc. How do I know if I have those things? That's why I go to the doctor in the first place. LOL

Any commercial That has Bill Cower in it. Why does he need a headset to do it is it that he can't remember is lines