Thread: File gloat, I think.

File gloat, I think.

I got a bunch of files, punches and chisels off of craigslist today for 40 bucks. I am pretty sure I got a good deal since all of them are pretty old and I assume well made. I figure of the 60-75 items even if 3 or 4 of them prove to be useful in a pinch it will be worth the forty dollars. Every once in a while I found myself wishing I had a round file of some sort or a small punch and now I have forty to choose from.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by keith micinski; 09-28-2014 at 10:02 PM.

That MIGHT have been a great deal--but the one tool I never buy second-hand is files. They dull with use and AFAIK they are not sharpen-able---only replaceable. Possible that yours are in good shape, though. I hope so.

Files CAN be resharpened, and the results are amazing. If you've never used a really sharp file, you'll be amazed at the difference.
    There are two companies that I know of that resharpen files: Boggs Tool and File Company- http://www.boggstool.com/page18.html, and Save Edge- http://www.saveedge.com/index.html. Save Edge has a 25 file minimum order, Boggs has no minimum.
    I don't have any experience with Save Edge, but I've had a LOT of files sharpened by Boggs. I've always been pleased by their service, and the resulting SHARP files.
    I think it would be worth it to have your files sharpened.The results will surprise you!
    Rick

I was going to suggest sending them off for sharpening too. The worst thing for a file, is to bounce around in a toolbox loose, especially with a bunch of other files. Those are the only two companies I'm aware of that do the sharpening. I've sent some to both with equally good results. We trim horses' feet here too, so it helps the numbers to save the hoof rasps, and send them with the files to be sharpened.

I am pretty sure most of them have never been used or if they were it couldn't have been more then once or twice.

Rick and Tom---

Thanks for that info. You are shining examples of what this forum is about---sharing knowledge. I never knew these places existed. I am happy to eat my words about files not being sharpen-able. Thanks again