Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid wood panels and tops - limits without big machinery

The hammering IMO is only ok in an point that has not had the glue squeezed out. That's one of the good things about
    hollow jointing ,you can put spring clamps on the ends, put a little pressure on the ends with bar clamps and move the
    middle flush while tightening a bar clamp. Hollow jointing has a long successful history in spite of some like Ian Kirby who
    flatly deny it. For decades I offered a bounty of $20 to any one who could show me a panel I glued that had opened on the ends. Interior or exterior and I've done thousands of them. I've seen hammered panels fall apart the same day the clamps
    were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    The hammering IMO is only ok in an point that has not had the glue squeezed out.
    I agree and to take it a step further, once the glue is squeezed out from clamping it's impossible to hammer flat. On my recent 10' glue up I painted the edges with a copious amount of TBII to allow some workability prior to clamping. Once clamped, game over.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    If I glue up a large panel and do a decent job of aligning the edges, it will take me half an hour to flatten it with a jointer plane. Maybe 45 minutes on a bad day. So, in the time it takes you to pack that slab in your truck, haul it to the cabinet shop, pay them your hard earned money, pack it carefully back in the truck and drive home, I'm already done and drinking a beer.
    Same problem with a router sled. It's painfully slow, takes time to set up, and leaves a wretched finish that is going to need to be planed or sanded. You would only do it that way if you lacked the skill to use a plane.
    And no, it's not hogwash that a planed surface can, if done well, have superior clarity to a sanded surface.
    Good on you; I'm just not that good with hand planes. I've made more work for myself with them than I ever saved. And believe what you want about the superior clarity of a hand planed surface to a sanded one. Comparative results by FWW says there is no difference under a film finish. I certainly can't tell any difference. I guess I'm just not that good at a lot of things.

John

I see a difference between raised panels and table tops. Most today want table tops perfectly flat even though there are
    fine antique tables that clearly show some undulation . Which can really look pleasing in candle light. Raised panels made
    of mdf , especially if they are large,don't look quite right in a "colonial" type interior simply because they are TOO flat.
    When making modern real wood panels there will be some variation in panel surface even when machines are used. Even
    if it is only subliminally noticed . An architect designing a modern bank lobby might require plywood or mdf panels simply
    because he wants a modern perfectly even surface. This is a good place to acknowledge that there is an expert level of flattening by hand than can exceed the flatness of a product like mdf. I once worked with a guy who made several dining
    tables with multiple leaves using only hand tools simply because we didn't have a planer wide enough to machine them.
    Even though the leaf order was carefully marked they could be used in any order and fit much better than anything in a
    store. Even with gloss varnish you could not see any distortion in any type of light.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 10-01-2014 at 1:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Good on you; I'm just not that good with hand planes. I've made more work for myself with them than I ever saved. John
    I'm pretty good with handplanes and have done the same; made more work for myself.
    It happens, and can derail a project quickly.

The point here is that if you move the tool over the wood, instead of feed the wood through the tool
    you can make a panel of any size you like.

A properly set plane MUST travel in a plane defined by the furthest coplanar points in contact with the surface.
    Really long planes can make for very flat surfaces, over great distances.

That said, I think you can get really close to flat with a properly built router sled.
    I just don't like the noise and dust, and get to the same result pretty quickly
    with a few handplanes.

FWIW - If you MUST sand a large flat surface, it pays to set up a large sanding "screed"
    using a cut roll of sandpaper for a belt sander. Mine is made from a straight section
    of hand rail from a stair project.

In my opinion, flattening with a ROS can be done, but it takes off material so quickly that
    I return to my first imprecation - check often, with a known straight reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    This is a good place to acknowledge that there is an expert level of flattening by hand than can exceed the flatness of a product like mdf..
    With all due respect, I would like to see an example of that.

John

Well, John the last time I saw that was about 1968. The 4/4 genuine mahogany we were getting then was not the soft stuff of today's 4/4 but was of a quality equal to ,or better than the 16/4 available today. Widths were routinely 30 inches
    wide or more. The cabinetmaker was from Lithuwania , I wrote about him once before in a discussion about "secret dovetails" and his integrity in pretty forcefully refusing to remove some unusually clever secret compartments in a secretary
    desk that had just been sold. The buyers wanted the cubbies removed and replaced with bookshelves. He gave the shop owner and couple buying the piece a demonstration of its hidden features
    that was akin to a defense attorney's closing argument in a death penalty case. In working on those tables he relied mainly on a jointer plane and scrapers. No sanding coarser than 100 grit and all done by hand with a sanding block. I
    think I did make a error in referring to "table leaves", maybe "extensions" is the correct word. Anyway the fits on top and ends was so good that finger tips could hardly discern them.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    With all due respect, I would like to see an example of that.

John
    I could easily do it. Easily. But I work only with hand tools.

It takes only a straight edge and proper use of a jointer.

I don't put much stake in FWW or anyone of the other publications doing a test or two and trying to make a definitive claim that the wood looks no different sanded or planed. It looks different even under finish unless your sanding goes to an extreme level, and nobody does that on a day to day basis (it would be stupid, anyway, because it would take several times longer than just learning to use a plane and plane the wood).

I hear this "there's no difference" so often that I'm inclined to take a piece of wood and plane it, finish it, photo it and then sand it and finish it and photo it (same piece of wood) to show the difference in its looks. Sanding takes away depth.

Whether or not a customer would care is different - they likely wouldn't ever notice.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-02-2014 at 7:20 AM.

Pine fence post material makes for excellent clamping cauls.

They must be uniformly flattened, first - but that's easier than
    flattening large panels. Once arranged to define a plane,
    the cauls become the assembly point for panels.

My mentor covers these with packing tape, to shed excess glue.

The ends are notched to accept all thread rod.

Panels are glued up and assembled on the cauls, and clamped snug.
    Pipe clamps pull the panels together.

Minor adjustments made, the cauls are cinced tight and shims inserted where
    gaps may appear.

This was developed for making multiple table tops.

Same problem with a router sled. It's painfully slow, takes time to set up, and leaves a wretched finish that is going to need to be planed or sanded. You would only do it that way if you lacked the skill to use a plane.
    Granted - it's slow, but, use the right bit (a bottom cleanout bit) and the end result is more than satisfactory. It only takes a few passes with a ROS to finish it off.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I could easily do it. Easily. But I work only with hand tools.

It takes only a straight edge and proper use of a jointer.

I didn't say you couldn't get it flat, only that I've never seen a large hand planed surface as flat as MDF, which is what Mel claimed.

I don't put much stake in FWW or anyone of the other publications doing a test or two and trying to make a definitive claim that the wood looks no different sanded or planed. It looks different even under finish unless your sanding goes to an extreme level, and nobody does that on a day to day basis (it would be stupid, anyway, because it would take several times longer than just learning to use a plane and plane the wood).

I hear this "there's no difference" so often that I'm inclined to take a piece of wood and plane it, finish it, photo it and then sand it and finish it and photo it (same piece of wood) to show the difference in its looks. Sanding takes away depth.

Please do. I'd love to see the difference of which you speak.

Whether or not a customer would care is different - they likely wouldn't ever notice.

I'd love to see examples that prove your statements. Opinions are fine, but data and photos are proof.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Granted - it's slow, but, use the right bit (a bottom cleanout bit) and the end result is more than satisfactory. It only takes a few passes with a ROS to finish it off.
    I'm not sure how others define slow. I did a 2' x 6' slab with a router sled in about 30 minutes per side, plus another 15 or 20 minutes with a ROS. No way I would have gotten it that flat, that quickly with hand planes, although I know others will say they can, have, could, etc.

John