Thread: First Bowl

First Bowl

I rough turned ten cherry bowls (my first bowls ever) almost a year ago and let them dry good. I turned them green on a Delta 46-460 but the vortex claimed another victim and I replaced it with a Powermatic 3520B. I used a Holdfast vacuum chuck to clean up the tenon and to final finish (and sand). I have a HF 2" air sander but no fine grit paper for it. I ended up using small pieces of paper. I also got to try out my other toy - Beall buffing system. Other than the sanding it was very enjoyable (one down - 9 to go):

congratulations on your new stuff, bowls are nice

you might put a circle indented into the bottom on the outside, since you have the holdfast, just to show you turned the bottom instead of using a parting tool and sanding
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 09-28-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Well done on your first bowl. You did a great job on getting your grain centered in the bowl. Wish I had that kind of focus when I first started out. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more turnings.

Congrats on turning your first bowl! Be sure to sign and date it because there is only one 'first'!! This one has a very nice form! Looking forward to seeing the rest once completed! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Like Steve said - sign that thing. It is a beauty and will be hard to beat for some time. The orientation of grain is about as perfect as nature will allow. Lots of nice playtoys to use for the other 9.

Very nice! Love the symmetry in the grain orientation. Agree that you might consider working on the bottom just a little bit, it'll help make sure the bowl sits squarely as well.

Boy how I wish my first bowl looked like yours.
    WOOD SNIPER-Start off slow, then taper off

Much too nice to be your first bowl. Nice curve, nice finish (a little too shiny for my tastes though), and the base proportion is perfect. It's hard for me to tell from the angle of your pictures, but is the rim flat across or is it angled one way or the other?

How big is it?

That's a very nice piece Mike. Well done.

I hope my first is as good - well done!
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Thanks everyone - I received tons of help from several users at SMC especially a former member that I e-mailed back and forth very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Much too nice to be your first bowl. Nice curve, nice finish (a little too shiny for my tastes though), and the base proportion is perfect. It's hard for me to tell from the angle of your pictures, but is the rim flat across or is it angled one way or the other?

How big is it?
    The bowl is about 7" in diameter and the rim is beveled down slightly toward the outside. Yeah - it's a bit shinny for my taste too but that's probably a result of the Beall system I used.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Yeah - it's a bit shinny for my taste too but that's probably a result of the Beall system I used.
    You can always go back to the white diamond wheel to take the edge off the shine. Nice looking bowl sir!!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Nice bowl Mike. Great proportions on it and nice finish.

You pulled it off together.The wood,design, finish and craftsmanship are fantastic.