Thread: Suggestions on dust collection ducting lay-out

Suggestions on dust collection ducting lay-out

I'm slowly getting the 6" PVC ducting together for my walk-out basement shop. The ClearVue cyclone is in one corner of a long and narrow shop (~14'X 40'), where I plan to have the large stationary machines (planer, jointer, TS, future bandsaw) plus a future router table and drill press lining both sides of one end of the shop. I hope to have the other end of the shop dedicated to assembly and hand-tool work. This layout presents challenges for keeping the duct runs turns to a minimum, since I must have a main duct cross the shop to the other side. Also of consideration is ensuring I don't block the light fixtures for this cross run. Attached are a few pictures of some of the initial work I have done, and I'd appreciate any input on if I have made any dealbreaker mistakes that can be corrected before I go any further. Thanks very much for your thoughts and help

Cheers,
    Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

I added a room to my shop last winter for storage, added a Hammer tablesaw, and did a little re-arranging, and had to change my dust system around. Would recommend that you get your machine layout the way you like it before you finish your piping. Moving machines makes you also change your layout. Had to move a few lights as the piping is hard to make work around the lights. I used 45's instead of 90's to make my offsets to reduce the drag on the system.

I installed 6" blast gates on the main line to every branch line, this allows me to keep the lines closed to areas I am not using and being a one man shop I cannot use but one tool at a time. This setup allows me to have a lot of pipe but keep it within the dust collectors recommended runs and has worked great for me. It only takes a few seconds to open and shut the blast gates for any thing I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N Taylor View Post
    I installed 6" blast gates on the main line to every branch line, this allows me to keep the lines closed to areas I am not using and being a one man shop I cannot use but one tool at a time. This setup allows me to have a lot of pipe but keep it within the dust collectors recommended runs and has worked great for me. It only takes a few seconds to open and shut the blast gates for any thing I am doing.
    Hi Michael,
    I will be installing blast gates at each instrument in the final set-up. If you look closely at the pics, I have temporarily installed the ClearVue 6" blast gates on several of the branches in order to close them off to test the suction at the farthest branch. I plan on hooking up my jointer and table saw (one at a time) to this branch to see how chip collection goes as a worst case scenario. Thanks.

Brad

It looks like you have a good plan to get all of your equipment covered. Maybe I missed something, but did you run a ground line throughout you system? I haven't built one for many years now and don't know where the wood community is nowadays on static combustion. When I installed a dust collection system at my last garage I used 4" ABS/PVC. Plastic creates so much static, all of the tech talk was to add a thin copper grounding wire throughout the ducting to prevent dust fires. Albeit, it was sort of a pain if you picked up some large birds nest and it got caught up in the wire.

Maybe that philosophy has changed now? Please advise.

Rick
    You can walk with a wooden leg but you can't see with a glass eye - Always were Eye Protection!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moran View Post
    It looks like you have a good plan to get all of your equipment covered. Maybe I missed something, but did you run a ground line throughout you system? I haven't built one for many years now and don't know where the wood community is nowadays on static combustion. When I installed a dust collection system at my last garage I used 4" ABS/PVC. Plastic creates so much static, all of the tech talk was to add a thin copper grounding wire throughout the ducting to prevent dust fires. Albeit, it was sort of a pain if you picked up some large birds nest and it got caught up in the wire.

Maybe that philosophy has changed now? Please advise.

Rick
    Hi Rick,
    I did extensive research into grounding PVC ducting prior to going that route. Prevailing wisdom seems to be that it is not necessary from an explosion/fire risk. One may still get a good zap from time to time, but that's the worst of it.

Brad